It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Water Logged Foam...? 
MMT Member

Post Water Logged Foam...?
Hello everyone, I am new to MMT and mud boat/motor ownership. I recently purchased a used excel f4 18/51 with a 4500 mud buddy black death, and was impressed with the shape that it's in. The previous owner was very meticulous in his care and it showed on the outward appearance of the boat and motor. However, after paying and trailering home, I noticed a few signs that made me believe that I may have problems. I'm curious if there are any other excel owners (or anyone with experience) who have suspected having this issue, and if there is any way to be certain that the foam is in fact waterlogged. Let's assume that it is... Is there a legitimate solution when dealing with water logged foam? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Water Logged Foam...?
Jack up the front of the trailer so water can run out the plug holes. If it hasn’t rained and it keeps dripping then it’s waterlogged. Does the boat feel slow? Sit lower in the water than it should?
The boat itself is not lost but if the foam is water logged you need to take it out. You could also drill small holes from the inside of the boat to see if the foam is waterlogged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:42 am
MMT Member

Flint, I appreciate the feedback. I will definitely try the tilt method and see if it keeps dropping. If it is water logged, what are my options?

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:14 am
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:33 am
MMT Pro Member

Take the foam out.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 am
MMT Addict

X2 on pulling up floor. If you are wanting to replace foam, use 1 Qt. flat style oil bottles instead, between stringers. Use RTV sealent on lids and a dab on the flat side of bottles, to keep them from moving. Bottles help support floor, add floatation and, won't soak up water.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

Good luck. They put the foam in the sides of that boat and weld it in. Don't know if it's sealed or if it can be waterlogged too. Not sure how much is in the bottom.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:45 am
MMT Member

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It sounds like I very may well have my work cut out for me. If I don’t have the required skill set to cut the floor/ re-weld the aluminum, is it something that I could take to a dealership or back to the manufacturer to have done? It’s been 5-6 years since I had and exposure to welding aluminum. I’d rather have it done correctly than be in the same boat 2-3 years down the road.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:13 am
MMT Addict

The Excel F4 1851 we did only had foam between stringers, sides didn't have any in it. It was a 2013 model though. They might have changed that. Foam actually wasn't that heavily soaked up, may be 40 Lbs. total weight. Wasn't really worth the trouble.

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:14 am
MMT Member

Denny, mine is a 2013 model as well. That’s great to know!!

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:16 am
MMT Pro Member

What is making you think it's waterlogged?

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:49 am
MMT Member

Only solution is to rip out the foam yourself otherwise ita gonna cost a bunch and just make a bunch of storage in your boat and hope that it never sinks

Sent from my LGL44VL using Tapatalk

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:36 pm
MMT Member

I have a 2015 1754 F4 that may have the same problem. Even if the bottom of the boat have 2 inches of water in it that would only be a maximum 100 pounds of weight. So just some saturated foam maybe less than half that so the weight of a dog, maybe. I hate that there is water in there that probably negates even having foam in the boat anyway. If its saturated it will not do its job. I wonder if something like Acetone would dissolve the foam enough to create passage ways to drain the water or even drain the dissolved foam & acetone out of the hull. That would be too easy and create a environmental superfund site problem. Uh...
On my boat I don't think water can drain from the starboard side to the port side drain hole anyway because of the stringers so I would still need to install a starboard drain hole. Ok ok ok...…. there is no easy solution. Just working thru the problem to find an efficient solution like all engineers do.

Tue May 15, 2018 10:08 am
MMT Elite Member

Remove motor and gear and weigh the bare hull - compare to new weight....

Apply gator glide or similar bottom treatment afterward....

Or just a good paint job...

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Tue May 15, 2018 4:58 pm
MMT Member

I have a 2014 18x60 GD hull. Foam under floor was completely compromised. Rip that sh*t out and don’t look back. However,my foam that was blown into the front deck and stern boxes was fine, so I decided to leave it.

On the flip side, my experience with closed cell foam is that if/when it does become waterlogged, it doesn’t weigh much at all. My entire Boat floor may have only weighed 30lbs.... in the end it wasn’t worth the trouble to remove, but I’m glad i did it.

-HW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]