It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Motor Suggestions  

Post Motor Suggestions
Just got this little homemade 12x4 flat. It’s built pretty stout and takes 3 men to lift comfortably. I have a cheap 11hp Mud Skipper Twister that I purchased for a previous boat. I popped the Twister on and it drove decent but was a lot of work and I was almost in the middle of boat with tiller. . I’m looking for something that will not over weight this boat with two men and gear and not kill my already bad back. Since the boat is short and I have a bionic back I was thinking surface drive. Any suggestions. I have the small Boat because I will be hunting a 100 acre crawfish pond with average 3 ft depth and a big boat is overkill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:38 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Motor Suggestions
Copperhead...

Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:33 pm

Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:15 pm
MMT Pro Member

Cheaper is not better.

I would put the 7hp Copperhead on it. I had a 12hp on my 1244 Atchafalaya Outdoor Designs flat bottom and it would run in the 27-28mph range all day. I swapped it for the 7hp and consistently run in the 20-21mph range. Waiting for the wind to die down so I can finish testing it out and get the trim tab adjusted, it does porpoise slightly at WOT.

The 12hp Copperhead is 120lbs and the 7hp is 90lbs, actually mine is 78lbs because I deleted the fuel tank and went with an electric fuel pump and front tank. The boat sets much better(higher) than it did with the 12hp and I still have to tweak the full width trim tab and can possibly get a little more speed out of it.

I live in the DFW metroplex and I have never seen a Drake or spoke to anyone that has. I have no idea of the quality or service, it's a nice looking unit, but I am not going to be a beta tester. You would think as many people on this site that want to save a buck, someone would have one.

I know the reputation, service after the sale and the quality of the Copperhead unit, I have had 2 of them.

If the pond is only a hundred acres, why do you need a 15hp motor, I would think that the 7hp would be a great choice.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]