It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Legend Craft Boat ? 
MMT Member

Post Legend Craft Boat ?
I am curious to know what you all know about the mid 2000s Legend Craft mud hulls. I have found one that is an 1852 slick bottom boat but I cannot for the life of me find any information on how they are built.

I know they probly are not in the "Top Tier" surface drive boat but I am not willing to spend 10k on a hull alone. This one has a used mudbuddy on the back with decent hours. So if I get it and dont like it I can atleast get the majority of money back and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

So, any info on the production and integrity of these boats will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:05 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: Legend Craft Boat ?
Had a 16X48.

Had the 100 gauge hull. I think that is standard for them-might be able to get a .125.

Mine had the tapered rear transom. (not good for a surface drive, and horrible for a prodrive)

Has cross bracing instead of longitudinal bracing. Don't think they made them any other way.

Don't like for a surface drive. Much better suited for a long tail IMO.

Seemed to be built fine though.

That cross bracing is going to hook bad if you run a surface drive on it and start banging stumps-if it isn't already. Have you checked it?

The hooks don't effect the long tails much...

If you know what you are getting into and the price is right and you can live with the limits of it, then good to go. Price needs to be very good though.

If it is all you can afford, or are willing to spend, then go for it, but I would certainly prefer a different option.

You can always get it, and run it till you can upgrade the boat and sell that one.

Like I said, I think they work fine with a long tail... So someone putting a package together with a long tail might work out good for them.

That is what I did. Pulled the surface drive off, picked up a good deal on a long tail, and then sold the package to a guy. He was happy to get it, and it worked out for me.

Good luck

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I second the above. It's what my dad has, only in 1652 flavor. He doesn't run his quite like I run mine, and it's done well for us over the years. The guy that used to build them (mid 2000s to I think about 3 years ago) built a good boat, but as caddo states, cross bracing, .100, etc. Itll hold up, but longitudinal bracing with proper cross supports is much better to prevent hooks, which are bad. I've never been concerned about the build quality, though.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:40 pm
MMT Member

I appreciate the reply fellas. I got a little more info on the boat and wanted to see what you guys think.

Its an 06 with an 06 35hp mudbuddy. It is the upgraded hull .125" No hour meter on the motor but supposedly the guy that owned it only ran it a couple years in a duck club when the weather was ok. Been sitting in a shed for several years. 10-20 hours is the estimation.

Ive attached some photos of the motor and I know besides getting into it and/or without a meter it is hard to tell. But what do you guys think? Also, whats the dependability on the mid 2000 surface drives?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:09 pm
MMT F.E.

Yeah,

A little ole lady just drove it to church.....

Seriously, sometimes sitting is worse on a motor than running it.

What is he asking? That is the key question to me. If it is cheap enough, then it is worth the "not idea" set up, and the risk.

Is it at the top of your budget, and it is this or nothing? Nothing would suck!

I would run it and see how it runs.... On the water.

Russ has direct experience with that set up (just a little shorter boat which the extra 2 foot would probably be better for you) so I would listen to him on it for sure.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:20 pm
MMT Member

Ya caddo and she didn't even go to Wednesday night bible study.

Its honestly probly at the top of what I want to spend. Not that I wont try to lower the price down but from what I have seen some guys think these used setups are lined with gold. 7800$ is the price its listed at.

Havnt had one before so all I know is that the used ones I have seen, atleast this old, look like they have been to hell and back a few times.

My biggest problem is I like my money too much and my legs aint broke.

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:35 pm
MMT 1000 Club

At that price I think it's a good deal. The older Briggs blocks were better castings so they were more consistent from engine to engine, but not enough to say "oh, that's a way better engine." At .125, unless you didnt want to spend that, I'd say go for it. The engine can be refreshed if the compression is gone from sitting up, but unlikely. There are some steps to take before cranking, some things to check, etc, but that extra 2 ft will make it carry a load better than my dad's, and it doesn't have as much extra metal (storage) to add unnecessary weight. Should run pretty decent and hold up fine.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:54 pm
MMT Member

Thanks for the insight guys.

I was told the motor was winterized before last fall and that they would get it in the shop and check everything. Im 6 hours from the guy so I will make sure the pot is sweetened before traveling that far. I will keep you updated if I go to pick it up.

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]