It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 1st Build - 1542 F&F - Swomp 23 
MMT Pro Member

Post 1st Build - 1542 F&F - Swomp 23
I've had the hull since 2015, the motor since 2016. Just now getting around to making it a dedicated waterfowling rig. Got several ideas floating around for how to arrange things, but I would say the main feature is "open". Want to maximize longitudinal floor space to make a 15' boat a comfortable blind for 3 shooters.

Which means bench seat had to go. A previous owner already cut out what looked like a livewell based on the side ports.

Question: think I ought to install an additional rib where the rear seat came out? Regardless of need, considering putting it in simply for the floor support alone. Might do a cheap painted plywood for this upcoming season, then pull it out and replace it with aluminum next year.

When I bought it

Last night

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:34 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: 1st Build - 1542 F&F - Swomp 23
although the rear bench offered little support, it was still a little support. I think it would be in your best interest to run something along that span especially if you are planning on pushing 3 ppl in there.

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:28 am
MMT Pro Member

I had never actually driven a mud motor until this last weekend. Just me (220), battery, fuel tank, and a small cooler ran at 20 mph. Something tells me with 3 guys and decoys I'll be lucky to get on plane (not likely). How much difference could I likely expect if I were to locate a 27 Swomp EFI? Doesn't add much weight with a relatively large increase in HP.

Got a lot of pieces/parts in this week, so I plan to be busy getting things put together over the next couple of weeks. Originally, I had planned to get a local welding shop to install a stern corner storage box (or 2) to be able to mount a switch panel and have some storage.

At this point though, I just want to see what I like and where I like it, so I've decided to build a small enclosure made of painted plywood mounted under the stern corner brace.

I'll probably still take the boat to the shop just to get the front deck extended to where the rake starts. Planning to use that spot for propane and gas tank. Floor will be thin plywood supported by closed cell foam. I only plan to use it for this season before going with aluminum. Just seems like I'm cutting it close on time at this point.

Here's how I plan to do the lights. Pic has cardboard, but I plan to cut a piece of plywood to mount the 12" light bar, 2 cubes, and bow nav light to. 3 light bars will be soldered to a common power wire, while the nav light will have its own power wire. All lights will be soldered to a common ground. Got this connector off Amazon that will allow me to make a somewhat weatherproof connection. When not in use, the whole light board will unplug and come off the front and stow under the front deck.

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Pm me your number and I'll send you pics of my small rig. I have a very similar boat as this as my backup for hunting season, and I think there are a few things you would like about it for your boat too bro

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]