It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Where to get Raffia grass? 
MMT Member

Post Where to get Raffia grass?
Hey guys,

I've been only line looking for places to buy quality raffia grass. Most of yall have recommended J Stern in the past. Is that still where you buy it from? It seems prices have gone up a bit. They recommend 15 hunks for a 18' boot. That's over $200 in grass... Does that check? Just looking to see if anyone knows of another place that offers good grass cheap.

Thanks

Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:43 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Where to get Raffia grass?
Puddles (I like the name btw),

I actually just finished an exhaustive search for the cheapest raffia I could find. I checked Cabelas, Avery, Tanglefree, and J Stern.

I needed to grass 3 layout blinds. From what I could find online, the "layout kits" only provide about 2 lbs and do not adequately cover a standard layout. Tanglefree is selling 5 lbs packs, which I think is going to be about right for a single layout although I haven't grassed it yet.

Bottom line, figure up how much you want to buy. I would estimate no less than 20 lbs (10 hanks) for a boat. Then CALL J Stern and get the shipping price that your order will be. Their online shipping calculator is way out of whack. Compare that total with Tanglefree, who is selling 5 lbs of colored raffia for $40+shipping. Go with the cheapest from there. For me, 15 lbs from Tanglefree was a bit cheaper than the same from J Stern. I would imagine the more you order, perhaps J Stern might get cheaper at some point.

From what I can tell, J Stern used to sell at wholesale prices to individuals as long as you met a minimum order amount. The minimum order requirement no longer exists, and it looks like they are charging pretty close to retail.

As you might have heard on the street corner, good grass ain't cheap.

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:12 am
MMT Pro Member

Also, probably the cheapest way to get grass is going to be J Stern natural (uncolored), and then dye it yourself. I didn't really want to fool with that for the amount I was buying and the savings I could get by buying it natural.

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:13 am
MMT Member

Awesome man, thanks for the reply. I didn't even think about shipping costing that much. But I guess 15 hanks at 2lbs each would be a lot of weight. Really not interested in dying it myself, so it appears tanglefree may be the best route. Thanks for the heads up!

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:43 am
MMT Member

I used J stern because at the time it was cheaper. if you call them they will send you a sample board to try to match your natural vegetation. Keep in mind there are a lot of people looking for raffia, I actually went in with 3 other guys to buy in more bulk. I would put the word out you are going to order and see if anyone wants to split some with you.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:56 am
MMT 1000 Club

j stern They will send you samples of all their colors

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:29 am
MMT Member

Thanks for the advice guys. Ended up just going through Tanglefree, they just ran a 40% off deal, plus free shipping and they offer a military discount. Ended up with 15lbs of the corn stalk blend, 25lbs of the field blend and a couple sets of grass mats. Adding it to a painted sun screen backer and camo netting system middle section. Its going to be heavy but should work well for North and Central Florida.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]