It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 GD FLOTATION PODS ? 
MMT Member

Post GD FLOTATION PODS ?
I'm looking at a new GD 18X44 and I've been advised about the new pod design/layout in the rear compartment of the boat. Apparently there's a lot less room back there for maneuvering around. Anyway, is anybody running a skinnier rig (38/44/48) with the new pod design that can give me some feedback on how much they're really in the way? Probably won't influence my decision to buy but curious about whether or not I'll be cutting them out right away. :)

Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: GD FLOTATION PODS ?
I had the extra floatation pod when I got mine.

I took it out immediately.

If I was gonna leave it in I would have wanted a 12’ handle.

This was in 2013 or so. Not sure if it has changed since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:22 pm
MMT Member

Thanks 4Cody4. Not entirely sure, but I think you might be talking about the pod that went across near the back of the boat. As I understand it, those were held in by a few screws and everybody took those out. I'm talking about the new wider pods along the sides which is a more recent change. It cuts down on the operators space between the pods. It might be workable but hoping to hear from someone who's running with them to get some feedback.

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yep, you are correct. I removed the center pod. If there was less room from when I had mine (1644) I’d shop for another boat.

That’s just me though. They are cramped and if you are doing anything but hunting ducks it just got frustrating. Not only is the space used up, but you get zero storage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]