It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 New blind idea 
MMT Member

Post New blind idea
Finally built the blind for my boat. No more just laying camo burlap over the boat! Because I travel and move so much, I had to come up with a design that would be compact and easy to store. I used a lot of design ideas that I pulled from here. I basically built a design that is jointed in the middle of each section and could be broken down into four 6’ sections, that way I can store it in the shed during the off season and hopefully preserve the life of the blind.

The frame is built out of ¾” EMT that I primed and wrapped in electrical tape to add sound dampening and a little corrosion resistance (I hunt the coast a lot). Used plastic bimini hardware for the joints and made sure I ordered extras of each in case they break during the season.
Because I did not want protruding brackets that I would step on while fishing I built T bars that slide into my seat bases. Had to add one to the rear of the boat. These T bars support the uprights for the blind. Built the T bars out of ½” and ¾” conduit with a little jb weld to bond everything. Seems pretty sturdy.

The horizontal portions are basically two pieces that are held together by a 1” sleeve each side slips in. Added a D pin on each side to keep it in place. At the end of the season I remove the D pin, cut a couple zip ties, slide the sleeve over to one side and the horizontal sections break into 6’ sections. Then I can just fold them on top of each other and the blind packs down to about 6’ X 2’ (made sure to add a little extra fabric in the center for the fold). The T bars also will be removed. Will probably only need to break it down once the season is done.

The only problem I’ve seen is the blind wants to swivel when its being set up. I will have to use pvc support sections and straps. Seems very sturdy once set up and there’s no swiveling. Only takes about 3mins for two guys to put up.

For camo I’m running a three-layer setup. Sun screen that I painted (pictured), military camo netting and then raffia grass on the outside. Should add a lot of depth to the blind. More than I’ve ever used in the past. I will run camo strips in the center of each hunter to try and hide the gap in the center. Also added sand filled pvc pipes to the bottom of the blind to add weigh on those windy days. Will put palms in the spud pole holes and lastly, I’m going to get a Webster grill cover, paint and brush it to go over the motor.

The blind is not the strongest, lightest or cheapest but it seems like it will fit the bill for my unique situation. Looking for some feedback. Sorry if the pictures come in weird.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:59 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: New blind idea
Sorry i dont have any photos of it completely folded up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:04 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I like the design!
Post a few pictures of it up without any camo on it if you have any. When folded down, does it stick outside of your boat?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:25 pm
MMT Member

Unfortunately those are the only photos i have of it without the sun screen on it. Its basically the same as every other single level blind but mounted on seat bases and jointed in the center. I was trying to build something like the one below. The camo will roll up and the frame and all fits in the boat. Nothing to hangout and snag. Ill use the support straps to bundle everything up for when travelling. Each side has two sand filled pvc pipes, allowing it to fold and also keeping the netting from blowing around. Makes it awkward to roll up alone but its doable.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:17 pm
MMT Member

brycecheramie, guess i lied. Found a few on my phone. The only thing i forgot to mention is that you do have to take the grab bar off in order to deploy the blind. Only takes 30 sec but still sucks.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 pm
MMT Pro Member

I like it. Like how you used the seat bases instead of mounting something to the hull. You could possibly do away with the PVC "T" supports if you run straps across the top connecting the two sides.

Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]