It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Prodigy resale value???? 
MMT Member

Post Prodigy resale value????
Hey guys, I’m a newbie here. I’ve been lurking for a while trying to do some reasearch for a new duck boat. For years I’ve hunted out of a basic all purpose Jon which was converted to a hunting platform. I’m now considering biting the bullet and having an 1854 Prodigy built exactly to my specs. As we all know this is not a cheap endeavor. I don’t mind splurging for something I really want but I really can’t afford to get hammered on resale in the event that I want/need to sell it. I was just curious as to what you guys thought about the resale of these high end custom rigs? Thanks!

Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Prodigy resale value????
All I know is there is a RIDICULOUS number of guys on here who buy a boat/rig, use it for one year (or less) and sell it at a loss. It baffles me.

It's like they took out loans and didn't know how to use a loan calculator. You'll find boats for sale in the same year as model boat.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:15 pm
MMT F.E.

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:11 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I had a prodigy, loved the boat. Only sold due to medical issues, having to go CC.

As stated the are allot used boats. I'd look into that.

That being said, a new gator tail 1754 combo is 20k

Prodigy your going to be 22 upward.

This will depreciate!!!!! Just like a car drive register it and bam knock 25% off.

Then it's a mud boat, dents, motor issues 15%

Every year 5% down, at some point it'll still hold some value.

Mine was 24ish in 14, sold for 15.5 in 2017

And that boat was well maintained.

If you really want it get

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2014 PRODIGY 1754 (#19) 2014 5500 BAMF HDR RETRO SOLD

2010 Gator Tail Gator Series 18x54 pushed by a 2020 40GTRXD

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

If the potential for having to sell is on your mind, get an alweld, xpress welded, or something like that. Custom hulls won't bring payoff in a year or 2. You'll have to get out of the first 3 to 5 years before someone will touch it for what you still owe unless you put some down on it. With the welded jons, the selling value will be much closer to purchase value. Or do like most will and don't listen to that thought. It's not nearly as cool.

I've had my prodigy since 2014, and likely won't ever sell it unless the day comes it won't float and the scrapyard wants it.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

hey, i'm gonna go ahead and reply to this thread, even though i'll probly get some heat for it.

probly 90% or more of people who 'build a boat to my ecxact specifacations', build a piece of junk. that's why a lot of them go for sale quick. most folks go crazy and add so much stuff or want things a certain way and it kills the performance or weighs a ton and is a slug.
you didn't say if u want a outboard or a mudmotor on this boat.
for a mudmotor….. unless you are CERTAIN exactly how you want it layed out, i'd get the boat made to work with the motor of your choice. go-devil, pd, gaytortail, mb. etc... mudmotors, no matter how much crap they say on here, are not powerful like an outboard and need to be setup on the right hull to give you the performance and speed that you want. making some bastard hull and throwing a mudmotor on it is not gonna give you what u want.

if a outboard... then you can get more 'artsy' with your build, because you can always pour the hp on the back of it to make that dog run.

hopefully you live close to fellow prodigy owners and can go ride with them and figure out exactly what you want before u plop down the cash. I've seen a lot of folks jump the gun and build some retarded boats only to sell them quick and start over. don't be that guy.

I wish you all the luck and hope u get years of enjoyment out of whatever you decide to get!!!!

oh, and you are gonna lose money on it. it's a boat!!!!!

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm
MMT Addict

Figuring in depreciation, on my 10 yr. old Alumacraft and 6 yr. old MB 45 mag. with 200 hrs. I think I'll get about 70 % of what I have invested. Maybe??

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:03 am
MMT Pro Member

plenty of really nice used boats for sale this time of year, and even more so with the shitty duck season we had.

Keep your eyes peeled and you can pick up something nice for cheap, and not take the hit of being the new buyer.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 am
MMT Pro Member

People try and sale their used prodigy for big dollars, not sure what they actually get for them but they seem to have better resale than most other boats. Chances are you can find a one year old prodigy about what you want for 5k less than a new one.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

If I were putting a mud motor on it...I’d get a factory boat from the company that makes the motor.

If I were rolling an outboard...I’d go custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:15 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]