It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Another trolling motor question 
MMT Member

Post Another trolling motor question
Hello all, new here with a newbie question. I have a new 1854 Gatortail extreme with a 40 EFI, built in rod boxes on both sides and storage pods in the back. I’ve read up on 12v vs 24v trolling motors. I have a specific question about this concerning run time. I’m ready to buy the motorguide Xi3 gps saltwater. I know the 12v 55# will more than move this boat around just fine. My question is, will a 12v with 2 batteries outlast a 24v given the same conditions? I want to be able to fish ALL day with no issues from the trolling motor. Has anyone did any comparisons? Thanks in advance to any info.

Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:45 am
MMT Moderator

Post Re: Another trolling motor question
Here's my take... I have a 55# minn kota I-Pilot and it will last for 1/2 a day. When tournament fishing I'll bring a second battery and I'll always have to switch the battery. 2-3 hours in I would find myself bumping the speed up to stay at the same GPS speed. Heavy winds the boat skates all over the place and doesn't track well.

You can always wire the two batteries together but my fear was that if one battery cell failed the other would drain the good battery. If you do go this route I'd suggest getting 2 new batteries for your TM.

I personally would go with a 24V system.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

I cant speak to both scenarios so this is not a comparison, but I had the same concerns. I bit the bullet and sprung for a 70lb 24v minnkota system and it has never come close to letting me down in a full day of fishing in the worst of river current and the wind that I even want to be out in. And I have been running a set of $100 batteries from O'Reilly. Imagine it would only be better if you picked up some blue top Optimas.

It's absolutely more power than I will ever need at one time under ideal conditions on my thick hull 1854, but I know without question that it's enough to pull me a few miles back to the ramp if necessary and fight wind, waves, and tide all day or night with plenty of juice to spare.

That was the recommendation I was given and that's the one i'll pass on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Get the 24v if the cost difference doesn't bother you of the motor and another battery. Also, get quality batteries. Because of the extra thrust, it won't draw as much from the total available capacity to run the same speed. It's more efficient. They're both more than enough for the boat, as you know, so that isn't the issue.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:58 pm
MMT Member

Appreciate the replies. I want ahead and ordered the 24v Xi3. Gunna be nice having the wireless feature.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:05 pm
MMT Pro Member

good choice. I have an xi5 on my bay boat, and its night and day better than the minn kotas. You will definitely enjoy it.

As for the batteries, a 12v system draws twice as many amps as 24v. Adding a second battery will increase the usage time, but it will still end up being close to the same amount of time as a 24v system, because you are drawing twice as much amperage.

So basically its a wash. You cant go wrong either way.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:03 am
MMT Elite Member

Just pulled the trigger on an Xi-5 GPS S/W model for a bay boat being built. Main reason I went with it was for the compatibility with the Lowrance Elite Ti 9 chartplotter I bought on Black Friday deal.

Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:06 am
MMT Moderator

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:55 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am
MMT Member

Got it in today. Foot print is a little larger than I pictured in my mind. Looks like I’ll be adding nutserts since I can’t get to the underside. Thanks again for all the reply’s.

Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]