It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Mercury trim stops working when temperatures drop below 0 
MMT Member

Post Mercury trim stops working when temperatures drop below 0
2013 MB 4500 BD HD with approximately 80 hrs. Trim stops working when temperatures drop in the negatives. I swapped out the trim switch, went over all connections with dielectric grease. Tested relays with new ones. Still having problems. If I put the boat in the garage and warm it up everything works fine. When I put it outside a couple hours later it stops working. The relays will click in both directions and then the breaker trips, then after a coupe seconds the breaker comes back on by itself. Could there be water in the trim motor? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:51 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: Mercury trim stops working when temperatures drop below
I'd take the trim assembly off and drain the fluid, could have some moisture in it. Had a MB 7000 do the same thing. Refilled and bled it and has been working since. Checked the seals while we had it apart couldn't see any damaged ones. May have been condensate build up in cylinder and pump resivour. ??

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:38 am
MMT Member

I've never drained and re-filled one before. What is the procedure? Easy or Difficult? I hope this isn't a commonly asked question. If it is, just point me in the direction. Thanks in Advance.

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:41 pm
MMT Addict

Not a difficult job. May have to cut the two trim switch wires where they are attached on the left side of motor. They have wire shrink wrap on them, will have to install new male female stakes on them at reassembly. After removing unit from frame, oil can be drained by removing yellow cap on resivour. And resivour canbe unbolted from pump. Carefull to not loose pump drive pin, and damage the Oring resivour seal. After inspecting everything, and cleaning. reassemble unit and fill resivour with ATF fluid. Bleed air from unit by operating cylinder in and out. Easier to do if unit is put in a bench vice with fill hole up. This is done by hooking the two wires to a 12v battery and reversing them to run cylinder shaft in and out. Unit is self bleeding and after cycling it a dozen or so times it should be good to go. Check fluid level in Resivour and top off if needed. Reinstall unit in frame.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:50 am
MMT Member

Mine was doing the same thing and it was water freezing that had leaked into the electric motor. I took the motor apart dried it out, cleaned it up and used permatex when I put it back together.

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:26 pm
MMT Member

Trim pump was taking in water. I upgraded to the new trim. All is good.

Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]