It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Difficulty Holding SD 
MMT Member

Post Difficulty Holding SD
I picked up a new to me 2006 24HP Mud Buddy surface drive and took it out last weekend. It's manual trim is shot and I'm having a hell of a time holding the prop up toward the surface. It wants to just dive so I'm fighting to push the handle down to raise the prop closer to the surface. Other than a new electric trim kit do I have any other options? Appreciate any help.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Difficulty Holding SD
Not much can go wrong with manual trim unless it's seriously abused and/or neglected. What's the issue?

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 pm
MMT Member

Looks like the shock is blown out. The line that went to it has also been cut. Not sure how that piece actually works within the system though. I'm told it was one of their first designs that didn't stick around long. it does not have a lower stop so it wants to go nearly vertical.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:35 pm
MMT 1000 Club

What do you mean by the line going to it has been cut?
Electrical line? If so, then you don't have manual trim, you have electric. Sounds exactly like a surface drive I used to have.
Just had to replace the trim unit and rewire it up.
And if it is electric, I think the first was a Bear Trim. Then I think a Thompson trim.
Now, they are mercury

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 pm
MMT Member

It's not electric, I was told it was some sort of pressure release that you would pull a knob by the throttle. Really doesn't look like a cable was attached on the inside and it's definitely not electrical. Guessing it's similar to a bike hydraulic seat post that when you pull a handle you reset it where you want then release and it stays. Only works if the shock isn't blown.

Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:57 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post some pictures of your motor
I really never heard of that

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:18 am
MMT 1000 Club

I've never seen one like that myself. Even my old balanced hyper came with a bear trim in 2004? I wonder if its something that was added by a previous owner? If it were me, i'd add a new Thompson trim and wire it up. The new style Thompsons have stainless internals, a grease zert and a breather hose. I've had mine on for over 4 years and its lasted longer than the previous 3 did. The bear trims sucked. You can get them at BPS for $420.00 + shipping. You are never going to be able to use the motor properly if you don't get something in there!

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:24 am
MMT Member

Tried posting a pic but wont load. It's a 2004 24hp Honda hydperdrive. It actually does look like someone modified the lower mount to the shock. It's a single cylinder with no attached actuator like you see with other electrical trims.

BPS is out of their Thompson trims. Anyone have a part number and I might be able to find somewhere else?

Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Good luck getting thompson to sell you one. The last one I ordered took about two weeks.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:35 am
MMT Member

Update: Mystery solved, the shock that was on there is actually a locking gas spring. There is a remote push button that is mounted up on the handle with a cable going to the unit. You push the button in, it releases the shock allowing you to lower it to the position you want then release the button and it stays locked there. It has the same sliding lower mount incase you hit something and it throws the prop up. I got a replacement from BWP for 100 bucks. Works on the ground we'll see how it does in the water. Electric would still be easier but this was a fifth the cost.

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]