It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mud buddy powerhead swap 
MMT Member

Post Mud buddy powerhead swap
I have a 2012 27 hp kohler engine on a 2012 mud buddy hd sport frame. I am wondering if i am able to upgrade just the powerhead and it bolt straight onto my frame without modifications or having to purchase other parts. Specifically I am looking to put a vanguard 35 in place of my kohler 27. What modifications if any will be needed to make this work. Thanks for the help

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:29 pm
MMT Addict

Post Re: Mud buddy powerhead swap
Before swap I would recommend checking a few measurements. Like output shaft height from frame to middle of shaft. Output shaft length and diameter. Motor base hole spacing. Top gear tooth number, and clutch bearing inner diameter. Should be able to find all these measurements before taking motor off frame. Save you a surprise.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:40 pm
MMT Pro Member

belt housing mounting slots are not the same as Briggs pattern.

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:21 pm
MMT Sponsor

^^ that could be the deal breaker. Thats a good heads up

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:17 pm
MMT Addict

Years ago we mounted a 35 BB Briggs on a 2004 Hyperdrive frame which came with a 18HP SB Briggs. We welded 11/4" x1/8 flatstock to edges of frame and moved tiller bracket out to clear BB motor base. We redrilled holes and elongated them. Far as I know motor is still going today. Had to modify holes in belt housing bracket and reposition belt tensioner. Had to order a 36T gear to replace the 32T motor came with a 50T propshaft gear. Also replaced trim air style lift cylinder with the Thompson conversion MB sold. Belt was the Goodyear Eagle V cog style belt, which we were able to use after modifcations. Motor had a 48" 7/8" NC prop shaft. Wish MB would still offer that length shaft on their newer motors.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]