It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 needing an education on props 
MMT Pro Member

Post needing an education on props
after reading hundreds of posts between MMT and all of the pages on FB I've become even more confused on what to expect out of certain props.

I'm currently running (on a GPS) 31mph solo in my 2060 gatortrax. Its round chine, 2 batteries and 6 gallons of gas (all in the back of the boat, that's how it came, probably not changing it), and turning a worn Big Blade at 4500rpm. The power plant is a level 3 gatortail, .308 cam, .045 decked heads, BPS Crossover exhaust, Mikuni Carb, Rev Limited to 4600, 45tooth gear.

I realize I'd gain performance with a Big Blade that's not worn, but I'm not needing it for duck hunting. I run a real rocky river and the prop gets chewed up. going to keep that prop as my beat on prop.

I'm looking to purchase a "summer prop" to keep a 2man fishing/bowfishing load at some higher speeds but also have some load carrying. I know a 3blade will get me the most top end, but ill lose some of the load carrying that ill need to carry my fat a$$ friends and a fish barrel. A buddy of mine is telling me to just get a reaper and be done with it.

I'm limited to 2 blade props bc of the 45T gear so my questions are on a Big Blade, Hammer and Reaper.

- the hammer has an extra .5" and 1Deg pitch over the big blade. Does that equate to more speed or load carrying? or both?
- are the Big Blade and Reaper the same prop just different material?
- should I be considering a worked prop? if yes, what prop and what should it be worked to?

a little off topic, but I'm getting tiller torque with the motor squared up on the transom. Do I bump the motor to the port side of the transom to counteract the torque?

thanks in advance.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: needing an education on props
Can't say this enough....every prop is different. If you truly want the best performance out of ANY prop...2 or 3 blade...you need to:

1. - Have a GOOD prop guy to work on your props.

2. - Buy a prop, run it on YOUR rig, under the conditions you will typically run.
3. - Bring the prop to the prop guy, tell him what it's doing and what you want it to do.

If he's worth his salt, he'll make it happen.

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]