It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Newbie worked prop question 

Post Newbie worked prop question
Sorry if this has been discussed before, new to forums and mud motors. I have a gen4 37 efi prodrive with bps stage 5 barracuda mods and need a new prop. The motor currently has a hammer prop on from the previous owner. From what I’ve read even though I can mount a hammer prop, with the gear ratios the prodrive have would not work with a standard hammer. While on step my motor will consistently turn 4750 rpms. So my main question is when I go to buy a new hammer I need to have it worked. What specs should work the best with my gear ratio, when I get the new prop worked? Thanks in advance, Caleb

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Newbie worked prop question
Use a prop guy that knows these mudmotors.

Get the new prop, then go run it and make note of the rpms, load, and how it performs.

Specifically, Holeshot: does it seem like its spinning its wheels, or does it grab the whole way up on plane?

Once on plane: same question as holeshot, but also, how does it hold plane at slower speeds and what speed were you running when the boat finally made pad, and how far from when you first started moving? Use trees as a reference, dont guess. Playing the prop game, guessing doesn't help much.

Top speed: how many rpms at best trim level for best speed. Dont throw a 20ft high rooster tail just to do it. Mine runs best with a rooster tail that isn't as high as the motor. Figure out what yours is.

Last note to take: when running on plane slower and faster, how does the boat ride as in is the bow high, is the boat riding flat, or is it trying to nosedive a little or a lot.

Make note of rpms at all stages, because that'll help provide enough info to the prop guy you choose to get it right the first time. If he doesn't want to know all of this info, then you might get exactly what you want, or might not.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Good info from Russ there. One of the better props I ran on a modded motor was a Hopkins that RC had made for his setup. The Stumpy prop was a close one also.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:23 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yep good info by Russ there for sure.

Call baggy in Houma after you get your prop and you get those numbers on the unworked prop and let him know what you are Turing and he will dial it in for you bro

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]