It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 2006 Prodrive issue 

Post 2006 Prodrive issue
So, I happened to get a 2006 Prodrive 32 hp Vanguard (Modded with Mikuni Carb, BPS Exhaust, etc) with a boat I purchased. I was told that the motor was salvage but may be able to be repaired. I had a mechanic go through it (This is my first mud motor) and the following was addressed:

- New Magnet/clutch
- 8 seals replaced on the lower unit.
- Lower unit service was performed
- Motor needed new seals and new rev limiter.
- motor was serviced as well.

Nothing else was noted as being an issue that needed repair.

So I finally got it out for a test run this past Saturday. I took it easy for a while just to make sure things were working as expected. Everything appeared fine, so I opened it up to see how she would run wide open. Ran great for about 2 miles then the motor seemed to bog down and lose power and started backfiring. Once I disengaged the lower, the motor returned to running normally. And re-engaging the lower it ran fine again. For about 2 more miles and the same bog down and loss of power with backfiring and sputtering until the lower was disengaged again. The length of time it would run fine ended up getting shorter and shorter until it finally just wouldn't go above idle in gear. I limped back as far as I could and ended up with a buddy towing me back to the ramp (Glad we planned to take both boats out).

Any ideas, suggestions?

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:49 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: 2006 Prodrive issue
Low fuel pressure. Air leak in fuel line. Fuel pump needs replacement or possible clogged fuel filter.
Ive had the same issue, I would start there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Post Re: 2006 Prodrive issue
Wanted to provide an update. The powerhead had some minor issues, which were easy to resolve and the motor runs smooth now. But... ...The Lower Unit was toast. The gears were severely chewed up.

Ended up ordering a new lower unit from PD and should be back on the water by this weekend. Still cheaper than a whole new motor.

Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]