It is currently Sun May 26, 2024 3:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 36pd stage 3 prop question for speed 
MMT Pro Member

Post 36pd stage 3 prop question for speed
I don't go through the mud all that much, but sometimes I do, I am looking for a prop that will give me the fastest speed. Any of you guys out there have a clue for what that would be?

Sun May 23, 2010 8:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: 36pd stage 3 prop question for speed
If ya got the motor RC had a nice Hopkins build that would probably perform well for your needs. I'm unsure of the specs and he doesn't post much on here anymore tho.

Mon May 24, 2010 6:43 pm
MMT Pro Member

I've tried several, and I don't really think there is an ideal prop out there for a stage 3 PD:

Hopkins 14 pitch cleaver with almost no tip curl (similar to what RC used to run, from what I understand). I beat the tip curl out of it and picked up a little speed. Its a decent prop, but I actually think its too much prop for my motor...the best speeds I get out of it are running it right on the tips of the prop, barely in the water, at very high rpms (above 4800). Hopkins told me he originally designed it for a different purpose, and has adapted it for use on these...but its not really designed from scratch for a modded PD.

I also ran one of Stumpgrinder's reworked stock props that was designed for the stage 1 motors. It pulled great out of the hole and ran neck and neck with the hopkins. It is my favorite so far.

I'm currently trying out a straight stock prop (just to get a baseline, because I've never run one on this motor before). It's definitely not enough prop, but runs smooth. I haven't fully tested it yet.

I've thought about trying 2 other things: a go-devil 3 blade prop with a little pitch added. It comes standard as a 12 pitch, I believe. However, I understand that go-devil won't sell me one because I don't have a go-devil. I'd like to find someone with a go-devil SD to buy one for me.

2nd, I'd like to try taking a worn out stock prop (around 11.5 inches) and have it pitched up to around a 14 pitch. It probably wouldn't do great in the mud, but should be good for top end speeds and shallow, hard bottoms...at least in theory.

If anyone else has any other ideas or experiences, I'd love to hear them.

Tue May 25, 2010 3:13 pm
MMT Addict

not sure with boat props, with with airplanes a 2 blade is about 2-3 knots faster thand a 3 blade. but 3 knots aint that much around 140 knots. just my .000002 cents

Wed May 26, 2010 8:30 am
MMT Elite Member

If your wanting speed you need to find a prop that is pitched heavy and smaller in diameter.

Wed May 26, 2010 8:38 am
MMT 1000 Club

Hopkins Stage 3 prop for ProDrive!

100_0092.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hoyt Mods and some other goodies

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:45 pm
MMT 1000 Club

ive got a hopkins for sale, has about 50 hrs on it

Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]