It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 16x44 gd w/ 31 mb balanced hyper 
MMT Pro Member

Post 16x44 gd w/ 31 mb balanced hyper
2001 16x44 gd
2003 31hp mudbuddy balanced hyper w/ 160 hr.
k&n air filter
dual exhaust
35 hp carb
new 12.25" big blade
wedges
Forgot to add, all speeds were in deep water.

Finally got to go run for the first time since the carb was installed. Conditions were very little wind and very little current. Throttle response was excellent with the filter and exhaust. Cruising speed was 25 at 3500 rpm. Max on gps was 30.0 but could run at a constant 28-29. Overall I am very pleased with speed and performance. The wedges are probably holding back the speed just a little, but imo it's worth not having to worry about the porpoising. I got thin wedges put on and I've jumped a few things and relly flattened them out. I may remove them and put on some solid ones like in the pic. I asked a local boat builder and he told me as long as it's not porpoising, he'd leave em alone. I suspect they're dragging worse than if they had a nice straight side on them. What do ya'll think?Muffler Braces 007.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:11 pm
MMT Moderator

Post Re: 16x44 gd w/ 31 mb balanced hyper
nice speeds
how does she sound ?

Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sounds good. Really nice and deep at low to mid range rpms. At the upper end, it's pretty darn loud. I'm gonna take some video and post it soon.

Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:48 pm
MMT Addict

I am glad you saw some gains from all your work, it sounds like it paid off.

In regards to wedges, there used to be tons of wedge threads on the old forum. I do think you may benefit from a solid wedge with a gradual slope. The concensus on the old site used to be weld a solid wedge and gradually grind off what you don't need. Through trial and error you mind find the perfect trade off. They are kind of like trim tabs, you will have to find a happy medium. It looks like the wedge in your pic is wood. You might be able to just cut a long thick one and try it out. Sand off a little at a time until you get what you are looking for. Then have somebody build you a solid wedge and weld it up.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:20 am
MMT Pro Member

dpd,

No that wedge is solid aluminum. I'm jsut not sure how long and wide to make them for optimum results. I had two yhay I epoxied on to try out. I ran them one trip to the Wax and had to back off a sand bar and one fell off. I think they were too wide and too short. I think I'll start at 1/2 an inch thick and grind it down from there.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:14 pm
MMT Addict

I don't know what the best wedge sizes are to experiment with. From what I remember from some of the other guys saying about 2 1/2 to 3in wide by 4 to 6 inches long. 1/2 in deep should be enough, and then you can always grind some off a little at a time from the back side. You are just trying to get the hop out the front end and nothing else. Hopefully you can find a happy medium and get most of your speed back.

Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]