It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Prodigy 1854 
MMT Member

Post Prodigy 1854
Hey guys, long time reader pretty new member. Grew up hunting out of a 1442 with a 6.5hp kit long tail then split a 13hp GDLT with a high school buddy. Sold the boat after high school and was out of a duck boat for a few years. Finally bought a new boat. Ive had her for about a year now.

Prodigy 1854 .125 mod V hull with a flat bottom
MM: Gatortail 37XD EFI stock 3 blade
Layout: has hunt deck with steps, half boxes, front storage, 8gal built in fuel tank, polling platform, 8" cat walk with trays.
Electronics: Motorguide Xi5 80 thrust 24v trolling motor, interior lights, reverse lights, light bar up front and a wetsound sound bar.

All speeds are with the trolling motor, three batteries, 8gals of gas.
Speeds: shallow water is around 25mph with just me (160lbs)
Speeds: deep water is around 24mph with just me
Loaded: With three people (500lbs) and small cooler (35lbs) i was only getting about 18-19 depending on water depth.

I love the boat. Fit and finish were spot on. The only problem i have is the boat is heavy and very sluggish with three people. It slides like crazy, am unable to get it to turn with more than just myself in it. Ive tried messing with the trim, slowing down and waiting for the back to lower, just about everything i could think of. I think the trolling motor batteries up front may have something to do with this. It is also very slow to get on plane!

Hoping to get the Delta level 3.5 put on her next spring. I think this would help alot with holeshot and load speeds.

Looking for recommendations for a 2 blade with a stock motor that i could get worked once motor work is done. Im running about 3800rpms. Let me know what yall think. thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:36 pm
MMT Member

Post Re: Prodigy 1854
More photos

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:38 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Prodigy 1854
Sure that’s a lot of extras on there, and valve leakage may play in (so try a leak down depending on your hours) but still, 3800 rpms is low for a 37 efi. Sounds like that prop is too much for it. I’d try a big blade or other 2 blade (for stock), and also look at getting headwork done around 45-50 hrs.

The delta 3.5 will obviously do a lot, but depending on what exactly you’re trying to do, it may be more than you care for and money you could have kept in your pocket. If you want to just tote a good load in the mid to upper 20s, heads and cam will likely do all you want for a fraction of the cost. If you want to Ricky bobby, then sure go all out.

How many hours of tiller time do you have on it as well? That may be part of the sliding issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:31 pm
MMT Member

Blueshy, ive been doing some reading on here about the leak down test. After reading others reviews of the 37efi I figured 3800 was a little low. Wasn't sure if it was caused by how heavy the boat was. That will definitely be my first step to seeing if that helps any. Ive got 50hrs on her currently. Im out of country 4-6 months of the year (seems to always fall during hunting season) so I don't get to run it as much as id like.

Not looking for crazy speeds, just holeshot and load carrying. If i could maintain mid 20's id be plenty happy. Im not the most mechanically inclined so id more than likely have to find someone in the local area to do heads/cams for me. Not against trying to tackle the project myself, just need to do a little more research to see if its something I can handle. Ive read that two blades typically are better for getting up on plane and in vegitation thats why i brought it up.

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Yes, more weight in the back will help some with the sliding. More weight up front might, also. You'll have to play with that to figure it out.

Get a big blade, have it worked if it needs it after you've run it a bit.

You'll get used to managing the slide with tiller time. Slow down, trim down, hit the throttle at the right time, etc to negate the slide. When shallow, there wont be much you can do other than to run only as fast as you need to keep it on plane.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I owned a boat very similar, but with slight more power. My prodigy liked weight in the back. As stated above move some people around, see where you need eight. Also as stated above get a big blade and that will help, until you go level 3. Then a hammer worked by baggy and you'll be very happy

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2014 PRODIGY 1754 (#19) 2014 5500 BAMF HDR RETRO SOLD

2010 Gator Tail Gator Series 18x54 pushed by a 2020 40GTRXD

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:50 pm
MMT Member

Sounds like a big blade will be the way to go. Thanks for all the input guys!

Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:21 am
MMT Pro Member

I have a stock 37 on my prodigy and I’m getting 29 solo and 23-24 with three people with the big blade turning 4200+. My boat slides like a SOB with just me, put three people in it and I can turn it on a dime. Like others have said I would recommend getting a big blade and see if it performs better.

Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:55 am
MMT Pro Member

just for reference I turn 4200ish with a baggy 2 blade at around 27 mph. Sounds like you need to give it a little while to break in and get a 2 blade

Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]