It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 4:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Gdlt 
MMT Member

Post Gdlt
I have a post 2001 (2003) godevil longtail 27hp kohler with a split yoke. I have followed instructions on shaft removal. I have done the lower seals before, but it is time to replace the shaft and lower bushing. I've disconnected the shaft from the u-joint and taken the set pin out of the small collar forward of the top bearing. I put on the old prop and began hitting the shit out of it. It moved about an inch before stopping. I tapped it back forward and had to tap the collar in front of the bearing to get it to spin freely again. I then began hitting the shit out of it. This time the shaft cleared the u-joint housing but barely. I then hit it back forward and the top bearing came out of the housing. Does anyone know what is retaining the shaft on coming completely out? Is the little "sleeve" in front of the top bearing the issue? Was it attached to the shaft to hold the bearing in the sleeve? I wish godevil had some videos on the web about this shit. I've rebuilt motors and bored out cylinders on motorcycles but this longtail has me stumped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:17 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Gdlt
If you moved it far enough to clear the yoke there can't be anything else holding it. Have you tried using the prop nut and a piece of square tube to walk it out? I believe that method is in the owners manual.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:32 pm
MMT Member

That was mentioned in the manual for the models without the split yoke, will try it tomorrow, ran out of daylight.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:02 pm
MMT Sponsor

The dimples in the shaft from the set screws make it not round any more. Smooth them out with a file or get a go devil slide hammer. This hammer makes that job a lot easier.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:21 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I had trouble putting a shaft back in once and as it turned out the shaft tube was bent.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:10 am
MMT Member

Got it squared away, there was a small bur on the shaft seizing it up in the bearing. It wasn't noticeable by eye and barely by feel. Took some emery cloth to the shaft for about 15 mins and smacked it three times and it came right out. Thx for the help

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]