It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 12:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Up Front Gas Tank 
MMT Pro Member

Post Up Front Gas Tank
I thinking about putting my tank up front. And I have a couple questions.

1. has anyone had any problems getting fuel to the motor with the stock fuel pump? If so did you go with an electric pump?

2. Where did you run the fuel line? Did you hide it or just lay it in the floor?

I'm not an idiot, I have my ideas on how or what needs to been done just interested in how others tackled this issue.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:47 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Up Front Gas Tank
What ya waitin for - move it....

Go to auto parts house and buy 5 feet more than you think you need of fuel line and a good in line filter.... Run it down the side rib or wherever you can that keeps it out of the floor and out of harm....

My kohler 27 and vanguard 23 - never have had a bit of trouble pulling the fuel with the factory pump - unless the vent was closed or the tank was dry.... Fill'er up - pump the bulb (which needs to be near the tank) and go again.... There is some logic to a second bulb near the back at the motor - two reasons - first for restarts to be sure she is primed and second in case the front one goes bad, you got a spare and some slack in the hose to reconnect with.... Thats how I rigged mine up....

Just DO IT....

If you can afford it get some SHO power cable and run it also and get that battery up there too....

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:58 am
MMT Pro Member

I'm putting a trolling motor battery up front. But what are SHO cables. I did a web search and all I came up with were SHO - Me Power cables which looked like fiber optic. What are you talking about?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:31 pm
MMT Elite Member

SO -- SOW -- SHO are the designations I have heard the power savy dudes use to describe it.... STO is the marine grade....

multiconductor, very flexable, and made for hi amperage - about the diameter of your little finger.... After Ike while we was livin to the sound of generators I bought (found) about 30 feet of it to pull a 50 amp socket to run my house on.... It cost about 2 or 3 dolla a foot....

That way you can put both batteries up front...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 pm
MMT Addict

SO, also ESO. Its pronounced S O, or esso. I have my gas tank up front, and my bulb in the back, never had a problem with my 23, or my 35

Oops, forgot I was in the LT section, Mines a SD, but should be the same fuel pump. My gas tank is mounted on the engine on my LT :oops:

1840 gator tail with 35GTR
15xx Bateau with 15 honda

Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]