It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 3:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Need help identifying a longtail. 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Need help identifying a longtail.
Traded this thing for 200 bucks and a junk lawnmower, but don't know what brand, or if it is homemade. The guy says he has owner's manual, but I doubt it. The motor is a 2005 Honda GX670 24hp, the same one used on the go-devil longtails. The motor faces backwards and drives the shaft via a pulley and 3 v-belts. The shaft is quite thick with no bracing, and the prop bore is 3/4" and smooth, it slides on and has a rounded key slot, with a nut to tighten on the end. It needs a prop bad, but I can't find one with that bore, thinking of getting a Ron Hill prop and doing some machining to make it work... looks like somebody took a damn auger attachment and slapped it on there. Has a simple mount, just a pin swiveling through a tube welded to the clamp part. I made the handle rig from some pipe and a bike brake, it had a huge pushmower type handle, you just about had to drive looking behind you. Any help on this one?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

35 GTR chasing a 1650 Polarkrap.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:52 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Need help identifying a longtail.
scavenger backwater uses an auger type prop. dont really know anything about them other than what their website has. http://www.scavengerbackwater.com/

Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:40 am
MMT Pro Member

Order a Ron Hill prop. Don't hold your breath waiting for it to come.....

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:52 pm
MMT 1000 Club

yeah thats definetly a scavenger. ive only seen 1 before, i didnt like the belt on the back of the motor exposed.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:37 am
MMT 1000 Club

Found it, yup it's a Scavenger. Turns out the motor is a 2005 model, it's getting a carb rebuild right now. It's kind of basic, but less to break down I guess, not much can go wrong with it unless you screw up the motor. It pushed my 1648 polarkraft about 15 with 2 people before the rebuild, and it was running lean as hell and bogging down, so I'm hoping it will pick up a few more mph. It was also diving straight to the bottom, I did some cavitation plate tweaking, we'll see what happens. It does have a grill covering the belts, so you can't get to them. I don't see how that was any better than a universal, besides the gear reduction in the pulleys, but it is 1000 bucks cheaper than a Go-Devil. Thanks all.

35 GTR chasing a 1650 Polarkrap.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]