It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Scavenger Backwater Motors 

Post Scavenger Backwater Motors
Hey
I am new to this forum and have just bought my first boat for duck hunting this fall. I am wanting to purchase a Longtail in the future.

I have seen these motors but have not heard anything about them from actual owners. The company is Scavenger Backwater Motors out of Iowa .
I was wondering what you all know about them be that good, bad or indifferent .... Any input would be appreciated . Thanks in advance for you answers to this

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:09 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Scavenger Backwater Motors
Haven't heard or seen much... I looked into a Scavenger once but I decided to go with a better know company... there really is no price difference. It it was me I'd go Beaver Tail, Mudd Buddy or Go Devil for Long tails...

Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:41 am
MMT Pro Member

i would go a different route also. from experience the prop really sucks, dont even think about running it near vegatation. belts are a pain and seem to always slip. hope this helps you out

Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I have one, and the only reason I have one is cause I'm a broke ass and I got a hell of a deal on it, 200 bucks. I'll be honest, it's a waste of metal. Yes, it will go forward, but at half the speed as a GDLT or Beavertail of the same HP. The motor for some reason is backwards with a belt drive, so you have the choke on the side you can't reach, and the exhaust blowing you in the face. At about half throttle, the flimsy shaft rattles horribly inside of the housing, sounds like it will fly apart. The prop on this thing is brand new, and it will only push my 1648 about 15 mph, only 8mph or less in the mud or grass. Heavy grass will actually cut it off, I am currently trying to get a different prop machined to fit this thing, cause the one on it sucks. The whole construction is scant, looks like a kid welded it. Very slight on materials, very cheaply made. Looks like a so-so backyard project. I'd love to find a go-devil or beavertail lower unit to put the motor on, that's about the only decent thing on it. Oh, and it's got a lawnmower handle so you have to drive facing backwards, I swapped mine out for a peice of steel pipe I had. Here's some pics of it..

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll32/DeathMetalDukk/

35 GTR chasing a 1650 Polarkrap.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:07 pm
MMT Pro Member

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:31 am

Well I am glad that I had found this forum. I wanted to hear some feed back from someone who had handled and used the motor. From what I have heard on this forum I guess it will be one of the name brand motors from Mud Buddy, Beaver tail or Go Devil ..... No all I got to do is save up some cash.....

Thansks for the responses guys I appreciate it

Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]