It is currently Tue May 28, 2024 8:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 question 
MMT Member

Post question
Okay, I have a 8hp godevil on a 14x32 flat. When i throttle it all the way it doesn't like to stay in the water. It wants to come just high enough out the water where it won't push anymore. My buddy said the transom isn't high enough and i agree with that but what else would cause this to happen? I'm also wanting to know where I can get a pressure grease fitting.

Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:10 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: question
They say that GD longtails are designed for a 16" transom (that is the measurment at the back of the boat from the top to the bottom). Alot of boats have 21" transoms and if you run a longtail on one of these the angle of the shaft and the water surface is wrong which causes it to want to rise out of the water. I think GD sells something to convert the motor to a 21" system ( I don't know that for sure). On the motor bracket right behind the motor there is a number cut (don't know how to spell ectched) in the frame Call GD give them this number and they will tell you anything you want know about the motor and where to find any parts you need.

It could be that the load is wrong in the boat. Try shifting the weight foward or backwards (probally with a 14 ft boat it is already back heavy). I have a longtail and it does better when the boat is running pretty level.

You can adjust the cavatation plate located right above the prop by bending the back of the plate up and the front of the plate down see this thread

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=906

If it only does it when running wide open try running at about half throtle. On this setup there is probally only about 2 or 3 miles per hour difference between full and half.

If you get tried of messing with it, drag it over to my house and leave it. I would not mind having a setup like that.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:32 am
MMT Addict

put one of those trim tabs on the cavitation plate. It should help a little bit. You can also try to move your load around, seemed to help when I drove one a while back... just my 2cents

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:51 am
MMT Addict

This question has come up on this board several times in the past. You might can do a search and find some pictures. good luck

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:53 am
MMT Member

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:30 pm
MMT 1000 Club

welcome to the addiction :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:36 pm
Profile YIM
MMT Member

Yeah, I love my little boat I'll post pictures when I get around to it.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:40 pm
MMT 1000 Club

good deal man

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:44 pm
Profile YIM
MMT 1000 Club

I have this problem with my longtail too, you need to play with your cavitation plate until you get it to stay down. Bending the back edge upwards and the front edge downwards will usually fix it. You probably have a motor for a 16" transom mounted on a boat with a 20" transom, that's what my problem was.

35 GTR chasing a 1650 Polarkrap.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:45 pm
MMT Member

I have no clue I'll have to measure. When i bought the boat it had wood on the transom to make it higher because it wasn't high enough the guy said.

Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]