It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New to long tail mud motors 

Post New to long tail mud motors
I'm new to this site and new to long tail mud runners. Recently built a KKK mud motor with a 9hp motor. Took it out for the first time and made a turn and it about put me in the water (guys at the ramp got a good laugh lol) was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on driving one of these things

Fri May 26, 2017 3:18 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: New to long tail mud motors
What kind of boat?

Go slow, be careful, wear the kill switch, you'll get used to it.

Sat May 27, 2017 9:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Brace yourself, don't turn with your feet close together, don't use all of the throttle until you get used to what it's doing when you turn, hit stuff, etc. Use your weight to counter the motor pulling away from you. Dont turn too sharp. Hitting something with the prop in a fully turn can jerk the handle away from you. No reason to be in a hurry. Life jacket and kill switch are important sitting or standing. Get tossed one time without the life jacket, hit your head, and tell me that was a good idea. Don't wear the kill switch and enjoy the prop saying hello. Just not worth it. Take your time learning it, and you'll figure it out pretty quick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Sat May 27, 2017 10:17 pm
MMT Addict

Sun May 28, 2017 1:36 am
Profile WWW

I have a 1432 semi V probably should put a grab bar on it. I guess practice makes perfect. Going to take it out tomorrow and try it again. Thank y'all

Sun May 28, 2017 9:02 am
MMT 1000 Club

I had a Thai long tail and the handle was too low to stand and drive it, harder to handle than a conventional LT imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun May 28, 2017 12:33 pm
MMT Pro Member

You have to use your body as a counterweight, and you have to know the limits of your boat. Flat-bottomed boat are best for Thai longtails, v or semi v hulls are not what they're designed for. Sit perpendicular to the direction of travel. If you're going into a turn, scoot your bottom end into the turn while you're extending your throttle hand in the opposite direction. You learned how to do this if you've ever ridden a bicycle. You can even get a jon boat to bank a bit this way, but you have to know your limits and when to get your butt back centerline when you come out of the turn. Think of how motorcycle racer stick their knees out on a sharp turn.

I've never use a grab bar. Just learn how to balance and counterbalance your body into and out of the turns. Since you've flipped your boat, you know the limits. you know how far your can push it. Learn to position your body and your can ride the edge of the envelope whenever you need to.

It isn't harder. It's different. You just need to learn something new. Most people are just not willing to give it that much of a chance.

Sun May 28, 2017 8:15 pm
MMT Pro Member

The grab bar is much less necessary if your only ever going to sit down, but having nearly been thrown out on several occasions standing up, I am putting a grab bar in my little boats and I have one in my 1848. It's a full width bar, I love it! It helps me put body english on there so the corner grabs better in a hard turn.

Tue May 30, 2017 6:43 pm
MMT 1000 Club

All the prior experienced posts should be taken to heart and ASAP. No substitute for stick time, and when you've gone 100 hours and think you know it all, still be prepared and drive defensively as on the road. The LT is a no-nonsense, economical, reliable, and not fast TOOL to get you there and back. Sure, you will see all kinds of bold exploits on youtube of heroic jumps over beaver dams and other obstacles, the drivers might even be wearing capes and white pvc boots and glitzy shades, and claim ancestry from authentic pioneer stock (their DNA is mixed also). Believe me, cheap hype is all that is. Be safe, live long, enjoy a cool drink after you are back at the landing. :mrgreen:

Wed May 31, 2017 3:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]