It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Motor Bogging down when in water????? Help Please 
MMT Member

Post Motor Bogging down when in water????? Help Please
I'm new to long tails and I bought a used one about two weeks ago. It's a backwater with a Kohler Command Pro 27hp motor. The motor was made in 2011. I recently replaced the diaphragm inside the carb and cleaned the carb and I bought a carb rebuild kit just in case I need it. But it will fire right up and seems to run strong when it's out of the water, but when I put it in the water it still fires right up and will run but but I just don't feel like it's running as strong as it's supposed to and then after about 10 minutes of running it will act like it's bogging down so I let off the throttle and it revs back up and but doesn't always take right off sometimes it will and sometimes it will bog when I give it throttle until it decides to go. And also my throttle is funky, when you push it down it stays down until you pull it back up and I also don't feel like its getting enough throttle. Could that have something to do with it?? I need some advice please guys, Teal season is right around the corner!!

I appreciate any input and all the help I can get
Thanks!!

Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Motor Bogging down when in water????? Help Please
Still sounds like you've got a dirty carb.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

You have carb issues. Find a picture or parts diagram of the carb on your Kohler and see what you are missing, or post a picture of the carb here and let us look it over. Your throttle should not be sticking and it sounds like your carb is still dirty to me or, you have a leak in the fuel system somewhere.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 am
MMT Member

Okay, I'll post the pics I have and if they aren't very useful I'll post some more after I get off work. I'm thinking I'm just going to go ahead use the rebuild kit and put it back in the water and try out out. But when I bought it the motor would start but with the choke out it would die if you didn't give it throttle and with the choke in it would idle but die as soon as you gave it throttle and I did see a leak from the bottom of the carb so I took it off and found that the diaphragm was done for so I replaced it and put the carb back on and started the motor and it would idle with the choke in and you could give it throttle but then it would die at full throttle so I tapped on the carb and then it would run full throttle so my float my sticking also I believe. But it runs wide open in my driveway but in the water it runs butbogs down after a while. It may just be me but I don't really feel like I'm getting as much power in the water either.

I appreciate Halls quick responses and helpful advice! :D

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:39 am
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 am
MMT Member

Honestly bro I don't know that much about that. That was my second guess though was a fuel problem the way it Boggs. And the filter is a little dirty now that I think about it. I'm going to pick a new one up today and replace it and put it in the water and see how it does. I'm debating on if I should go ahead and put the carb rebuild kit on now as well.

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:23 am
MMT Member

That's only pic I have as of now. If that's not very useful then when I get off of work I will post some more. But that picture is before I took the carb off and replaced the diaphragm so it's a little cleaner now than it looks in the picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:29 am
MMT Member

So I picked up a new fuel filter on my lunch break today and thank god I did because this is the old one.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:13 am
MMT 1000 Club

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and use my past experience to say; You just need a good old fashion complete carb and fuel system cleaning. Everything from tank to carb. I'd even consider replacing fuel lines. You don't know how long this thing sat or what fuel was ran through it. Better to be safe than get stranded because you skipped cleaning or replacing a part.

In my opinion there's nothing worse about owning a boat than, to have something planned, hop in the boat and the bastard doesn't start or starts and runs like ass. Its probably happened to everyone at least once. I don't take any chances anymore.

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:32 am
MMT 1000 Club

Anybody ever run some of the stp, or gumout fuel system cleaner thru one of these motors? I got a bottle of fuel system and carb cleaner I'm planning to dump in mine before I head out this Saturday

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:02 am
MMT Member

One year on opening morning morning I got to the boat ramp at 2 AM just to make sure I was the first one there so I did not have to fight for my spot, I put my boat in the water and started it up and it would not start whatsoever. I thought maybe it got some bad gas so I even ran down the road to a gas station and got new gas came back and tried it and to make a long story short from two in the morning until daylight I was there desperately trying to start my motor while I watched over 20 people back in and head to the hunting spot. that was the worst opening morning experience of my life! turns out the motor was done for and had no compression.

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:42 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am
MMT Member

I had similar problems with my engine. I use seafoam in my tank every once in a while and it really cleans out the system. I also added a fuel/water separator before my fuel pump which really helps thanks to this ethanol crap. It takes me a while to get through a tank if gas and even though I use stabil, I still think i get a lot of gunk in the tank. I also had a small air leak at one of my connections and when I put a load on the engine, the gas couldn't keep up even with the electric fuel pump. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:11 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I run seafoam in every tank. I may have bad luck with starters, but I've never had a fuel issue.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:41 pm
MMT Member

I'm not too familiar with small engines, kind of still learning so I need all the advice I can get lol.
Where would the fuel pump be located at on this motor? And this is somewhat off topic, but my throttle is funky acting, when you press it down to throttle it it stays down until you pull it back up and I swear it's not getting a whole lot of throttle. What all would I need to purchase if I wanted to replace the whole throttle and could anybody tell me what website I could get it from?

Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:03 pm
MMT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:58 am
MMT Member

What are your rpms when this is occurring? Is it bogging to under 2800 or so and if you raise it out the water does it pick back up to 3600+?? Coils are sometimes a problem, intermittent problems can arise from heat, loose connection, improper gap. This is common, but I do advise all new fuel lines/filter, vented gas cap. Everything everyone has already suggested. But if non of that works I'd inspect those coils.

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:14 pm
MMT Member

Also you can order a new throttle from backwater as they come exact length and are usually cheaper than any other shops. As far as it "sticking" the Philips screw that it pivots on can be loosened to allow your governor springs to control the throttle when you aren't fully depressed on the handle. I like mine to stick so I don't have to hold it

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:17 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:19 pm
MMT Member

Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:27 pm
MMT Member

Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:37 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Do you not have a tach on the motor?
If you don't, you need to buy one.

Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:03 pm
MMT Member

No I don't. I have one ordered

Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 pm
MMT Member

UPDATE: I noticed my oil was over full so I drained it and it did have some gas in it? I'm thinking that could be art of the bogging down problem is to much oil. It could have getting windage?

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Change oil and put the right amount. Then make sure your fuel tank is vented, if it's not, that will cause the fuel to push through the carb while the boat is sitting up not being used which will put fuel in your oil.

Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:55 pm
MMT Member

Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:23 am
MMT 1000 Club

Do all that, add a tach, then report back

Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:47 pm
MMT Member

Make sure that old oil doesn't have fuel in it and make sure to change oil filter too. If there's fuel in old oil maybe best to
Do a couple oil changes to make sure fuel is all out. Also check compression. When u change fuel lines put in a shut off valve
So fuel isn't forced into carb, and then into crankcase while the boat sits, unless u disconnect fuel and every time or leave vent open
All this plus what everyone else posted. Good luck

Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:33 pm
MMT Member

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:56 pm
MMT Member

Okay guys, I took it out today and it is still doing it. I took a video of it also so I can try to send so y'all see what I mean. My buddy said it sounds kind of like 1 cylinder to him.

Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 pm
MMT Member

Let us know what u have done between runs to the engine so we can help. Also recheck the oil if you changed it
For the smell of gas. Sounds like u need to check compression and do a leak down test. If u changed oil , compression test is good on both sides and leak down test is good
Then Rebuild the carb.
Google tiny tach and make sure u order the right one should be about $45 from tiny tach.

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:43 pm
MMT Member

When I bought the motor it would only idle with the choke in, As. Soon as you have it gas it would die. I took the carb out and cleaned it and put half a bottle of sea foam in the tank andthen filled it full of gas and ran it, after I cleaned the carb and put it on and did the same thing and then I found where it was leaking and took it off and found that the diaphragm needed replaced so I replaced the diaphragm and put it on and it was a little better then I tapped on the carb and fixed it and would run full throttle with the choke in so I'm guessing my float was stuck. I've replaced the air filter, fuel filter, gas lines from filter and from carb. I have thinking that I need to do a compression test. If my compression is low does that mean I pretty much should get a new motor?? Is there now way of a somewhat quick fix . I did turn my motor on and while it was running I pulled one spark plug and it only idled down but stayed running and it did the same with the other plug.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

If your motor run wide open throttle in the water with the choke pulled out, you still have a carb issue.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:22 pm
MMT Member

Don't think u need a new motor. Take it to a small engine, lawnmower shop. Tell them to rebuild carb and do a compression test and a leak down test.

Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:39 pm
MMT Member

I did a compression test and it was good. I have a rebuild kit for the carb, I'm going to rebuild it this evening and see how that does. Also I'm glad a did compression test because I found that it's time for new spark plugs!!

Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Why not just buy a whole new carb and be done with it?

Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:54 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:41 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next