It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Flattening an engine key? 

Post Flattening an engine key?
My engine key sheered recently and I just ordered a new one from go devil along with some other parts. The manual says to hammer it into the crankshaft and flatten it to provide a tighter fit to the yoke. How exactly should I go about flattening it? Can I just hammer or sand it? Any advice would be appreciated as i did not want to screw it up by flattening it improperly.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:04 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Flattening an engine key?
Ok, i'll bite. I have installed 100's of keys into shafts and have NEVER flattened out a key to get a better fit. I've also installed 4 keys in go devils and i've never hammered one flat? Not 100% sure but, i'd go back and read those directions again to make sure you comprehend what you've read.

IMO I wouldn't hammer any key flat, regardless of what it was going into. I've had to "tap" on a bunch of them to get them to seat, but "tap" not hammer. :? :shock:

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:26 am
MMT Pro Member

If you hit it a few times with a center punch you'll mash it tight in they keyway and it will be less likely to wander out of the U joint if the set screw ever works loose. It's also a good idea to have the shaft supported when doing this so as not to bend the crankshaft, of the drive shaft if seating a pin n that end. Keys are soft and it shouldn't take much to distort it into fitting tighter

Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 pm
MMT Pro Member

Do you have access to a welder? If so, let a little bit of key stick out of the u joint and weld it to the joint. This way you can always remove it from the shaft since it's not welded inlace. If you have a problem you can always cut the tack weld with a hack saw. They are less likely to come loose after welded in.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]