It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Mud motor bearing/bushing housing questions. 

Post Mud motor bearing/bushing housing questions.
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums. I'm in the middle of gathering parts for a longtail build. Ive pretty much designed everything out except for the bearings and housing. I've been putting it off but now I need to deal with it.

I was hoping you could help clear up a few things for me. First and most important is "Do I really need thrust bearings? Is the amount of thrust load from a 6.5hp really enough to dictate the Need for them? This brings me to my next line of thinking. If I were to go with tapered roller bearings up top, would i want a threaded section for preload? Does my shaft need a lip/edge to properly transfer thrust load to the bearing? I'd probably go with a oilite bushing on the prop end to save costs. I see these long fat oilite flange bushings that I like the looks of but how does that seal the shaft housing up? I don't get that detail for some reason. I'm overlooking something. Any help would be appreciated. I've got everything ready to go other than the shaft housing, bearings/bushings and prop.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 am
MMT Member

Post Re: Mud motor bearing/bushing housing questions.
Hey, as far as the bushing/ seal, what did you end up doing?

Thu May 16, 2019 10:48 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Mud motor bearing/bushing housing questions.
Just buy a bearing set up from Backwater. But to answer your question you will need a 3/4" shaft with a 1/4" key way cut on one end and 3/4"-10 thread on the other. Keep all your threads outside of your seal/bearing assembly so that the threads don't cut the seals and the seals fit tight on the shaft. Most of the companies have gone to bearing setups on the upper and lower shaft assembly but you don't have to. Go Devil used bronze bushings on the bottom for a long time but they filled the shaft with grease to take the whip out of it and keep water out of the shaft housing. If you go with a bearing set up, accommodate the lower and upper setup for a couple of lip seals and alternate their direction to keep water out. Water in your shaft housing will rust your bearings and freeze. On a small hp long tail I would not fill the shaft tube with grease because when it gets cold its hard to start because of the friction of thick grease so you might need to put a center bushing in the shaft housing. You can build a shaft with DOM tubing but it will need shaft stubs welded in to use the keyway and prop. Most people don't realize that a solid 3/4" shaft whips like a noodle at 4000 rpms. Good luck with your build and your finding out they are not as simple as people think they are. :)

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]