It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Big Blocker Home Builders? 
MMT Member

Post Big Blocker Home Builders?
I worked in Thailand in the 70's and 80's and enjoyed watching the longtail boats both in southern Thailand and where I lived near Nong Khai in the north on the Mekong River. As of last year I have a kit on a 15' Jon boat and use it for fishing and hunting in protected locales...glad they finally showed up on this side of the world.

I'm wondering why I am not seeing big block home built longtails like over there?

Anyone have links to people who have done so both on and off this forum?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:50 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Big Blocker Home Builders?
They are impressive! I'd like to see more hull designs specifically for LT's.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 pm
MMT Sponsor

We play with some bigblock longtails. I think a big difference is in my area there are a shitload of stumps. Those big creative motors over there look Awsome but I wouldn't want to smack a stump with one. Catching a surprise stump with any longtail is a major eye opener. I would love to drive one of those turbo diesel ones just for the rush. I would be terrified of hitting something with it tho. Love/ hate relationship

Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:10 pm
MMT Member

...I live near a giant river system (marshes and lakes included) and want to put a big block longtail on an 18' deep-v hull (Lund SSV) that I have. The outboard I have on it is rather old and needs replacing and is limited in marsh use (no stumps in this system). Anyway, you can drive 100 miles here and not see a person.

I have rebuilt a VW 50 hp diesel complete with a water cooled exhaust manifold and want to put a longtail on it, so if anyone has any experience doing this I'd appreciate some advice. So far all I have are memories of the Thai boats and a couple of sets of plans that I have purchased for smaller builds. There used to be a detailed video of building/welding a MaD Mud Motor on Youtube but that is gone I guess.

Any links or folks who have done this and are willing to talk would be very helpful to me over this coming winter.

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:20 am
MMT 1000 Club

Chat with arlon at backwater. He might have some good insight to help.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]