It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Backwater bump stop 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Backwater bump stop
Thought it was going to be easy to replace on my full frame swomp 26.5 but no...seems like i have to remove the main bolt and lift the motor off the versa mount to get clearance to screw in the new bolt and ball. Any suggestions? Bump stop makes it easy when idling to drive, the original fell apart. I can get by without for a couple of hunts but really want to replace it. BW sent me a new one real quick. Will need a new knurled dial and set screw, could not get that piece off the bolt!

Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Backwater bump stop
That's uncanny because mine just fell apart as well. I know our engines are about the same age. Got the replacement but haven't tried to replace it yet. Have you contacted backwater for any suggestions? Please post if you find a method. I'll take a look at mine this weekend to see if I can find a way. I do not have the Versa mount so any method I find may not apply.

Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

Will call BW tomorrow, because it's payday...last time I took off the motor (with help) one of the brass bearings for the motor swivel bolt mount got mashed, figure I will order a set. I had to hacksaw the bolt off- no fun- because even after removing the set screw from the knurled dial it would not come off. I put it on a vise and was not able to remove it and in the process messed it up! Last time out I got stuck on a mud raft and obviously all my digging down with the motor finally destroyed the rubber bump. Glad I can run it without the bump stop but sure is nice when idling and picking up decoys.
Just not enough clearance to thread the bolt on! :ugeek:

Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:12 am
MMT 1000 Club

Just got off the phone with Jake from BW, who was on the road. I explained my problem and he did agree that the motor must be lifted off the mount to allow clearance to insert bolt and ball bump stop. Just like I figured, he suggested to order a set of bushings ($10.00) because invariably one or the other gets mashed/mangled in the process...since I messed up the dial plate w/set screw I will need to order one as well- this is not listed on the parts page on their website. I will have to wait till after Monday to order these items. Wish I had a small motor lift- will have to employ my nephew's help. I believe the newer lite frames don't have this issue, since they use a locking cross pin as a stop?

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:43 am
MMT 1000 Club

You're correct. No bump stop on the Lite frames. The pin acts as the bump stop and there are different holes to allow for varying depths.

6.5 Backwater SWOMP Lite / 1440 PolarKraft

Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:02 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thank you, Frank! Corroboration helps...hope you've downed a teal or two! Would love to test drive a lite frame BW! Hope to retire next year, might just treat myself a new motor!!

Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:05 am
MMT 1000 Club

hawilson, been planning the install. My hull has split pods in back. After chocking tires, and with prop end in boat, think I have enough room (removing gas tank) to put a tire jack and block to lift motor (after removing swivel bolt) some 2-3" to give me room to thread the new bolt and bump stop ball on. The one drawback- and you were probably made aware when you placed the motor onto the transom mount- that those brass bushings are soft and can be damaged if you are not careful. This happened on initial mounting of my motor, and a second time when I moved the pivot point to the third hole (farthest front) to better balance my motor. Would like to hear from anybody who has done this!

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:49 pm
MMT Pro Member

I am thinking of not even replacing mine. I only use it when trailering to keep the skeg off the floor of the boat. I do not use it in the water. I may just use a piece of wood under what's left of it while trailering. I do have a motor lift which would make it easier if I do decide to change it out. If anyone knows of a reason why I really need to have it please let me know. Good luck changing yours.

Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:54 am
MMT 1000 Club

Definitely a PITA! :mrgreen: I do like it when idling and picking up decoys the bump stop controls the drop- I usually hunt alone is why...

Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]