It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 SPS medium kit bracket won’t fit 

Post SPS medium kit bracket won’t fit
Hey guys, thanks for having me on the forum. I just bought a SPS medium swamp runner kit, the bracket that mounts to the transom won’t open up far enough to go on my Jon boat. AND my Jon boat has a aluminum brace that goes damn near to the top of the transom. A regular outboard fits on it fine. It’s the short transom too. Has anyone else had this issue? And does the large kit have a larger bracket? I know it would need to be cut out where the brace is, just wouldn’t want to ruin the strength of the bracket, but the transom being thicker is a issue, cause if you spread it open more that’s definitely not good I wouldn’t think. I just got the kit tonight, so I’m gonna contact Jon tomorrow I guess. I tried to get on their forum and I guess it has me blocked for now.

My boat is a 2000 1448 Weld-Craft all aluminum transom rated for 30hp. The transom thickness is 2.11” so let’s just say it needs to be 2.25” for standard size, and the brace in the center is 2.50” thick. I was really hoping to get on the water Sunday to check it out but looks like that ain’t happening now.

So has anyone out there had this issue?? and did they have a solution to get it mounted? I just wish I knew if the large kit has a bigger transom mount cause that might fix it (after carving out the center piece)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Post Re: SPS medium kit bracket won’t fit
Well I got ahold of Jon and found out that I could totally remove them transom wingnurs, then put the jam but on the rear so that would fix that issue, but the brace is STILL a pain, so I took it to a buddy that’s a welder, and he took the front and back apart, filled in with weld to make it wider, then welded a piece of 1/4” plate up top too to tie it all in heavy duty. It turned out badass. We never could tell what threads were on the transom wing nuts. We couldn’t match it up to the M12 by 1.5 and 1.75, nor match it up to standard American thread. We used a thread file and found it to be a 12 tpi bolt. But either ways we just reused them. I have a weird boat that went a little overkill when they built the transom. So hopefully the install will go great tomorrow, I have to say this kit from swamp runner seems to be pretty heavy duty, maybe there are better ones out there but this one fits my budget for damn sure. Here’s some photos of the tabbed bracket

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:12 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: SPS medium kit bracket won’t fit
Imma pm you with something my father and I designed

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]