It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Any flooring experts on the site? 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Any flooring experts on the site?
Any flooring guys on the site? I'm not talking about a weekend warrior with his projects, I'm talking about someone in the know on laminate flooring. Looking to put some in my camp and have a few questions.

Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 am
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Any flooring experts on the site?
Owen Dickeson

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:46 am
MMT 1000 Club

I’m a GC specializing in insurance reconstruction. My crews have installed a few hundred thousand sq ft of the stuff I’m sure lol. Shoot me a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

pm sent

Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:15 pm
MMT Pro Member

We installed a ton of vinyl laminate. Very easy to work with. My house house will be getting the same stuff after deployment

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:02 pm
MMT F.E.

What is "vinyl laminate"? I thought it was either vinyl OR laminate.

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:35 pm
MMT 1000 Club

https://www.flooranddecor.com/nucore-flooring

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Sorry, I call it plank or laminate. Regardless, its vinyl that looks like laminate. Depending on the brand and if it has any backing, the only tool youd need is a carpet blade and a square to cut your pieces. It's really easy to work with

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:41 am
MMT 1000 Club

What were doing is putting down some flooring in my houseboat. We decided on a 7mm thick laminate. My question is do I need an underlayment?

This is what I have. When we built our camp, we decided to lay tar paper down on the floor joist before putting down our tongue n groove ply. The tar paper is over lapped and is flashed up about 4" on the wall. Where the house section is, we ran 2x6's on flat on top the floor joist to make the entire House section 1.5" higher than the surrounding decking. That was no water from storm or whatever could "wash" into the camp area, its raised and flashed as well.

Which brings me to the flooring. For the past 7-8 years, we have been adding items here and there but have never done anything with the floor. Well were at the point of doing trim molding and well, the floor finally have to go down. The subfloor is 3/4" tongue n groove non-treated, thus us putting down the tar paper as a moisture barrier from below. It is by far the best and cheaper way to do it after talking to several that have done it before. The plywood other than it being slightly discolored in a few areas still appears new like the original install. And yes I know, 7-8 years, but when we go to hunt and the hunting is good, I'm hunting... cooking.... sippin.... sleeping.... repeat.

We were about to pull the trigger on some nice trafficmaster laminate at Homedepot that we caught on sale, and the flooring guy mentioned we needed an under layment for moisture barrier. We told him what we have and he still insisted, because "he had to say that". Which made us stop and think. Was he really trying to tell us we don't need it, but has to say that for the cameras. Don't know. We are trying to figure out, that by installing an underlayment on top of the ply as a moisture barrier, we have basically "sandwiched" the NON-TREATED ply with moisture barrier thus locking it in for no where to go. Got in a pirogue and got underneath, the tar paper looks like day one, no tears, scratches, nothing. My houseboat is 30'x60' so its not a matter of $50-$100 for this under layment. Big money would be involved and I don't want to screw up my ply floor that is basically new. Being this is not a peel and stick, or glue down floor, do i need that underlayment? If its simply for noise, dk care. But if it is needed, then I guess well add that to the budget. What I don't want is for a drink to get spilled and some seep through, then the moisture barrier traps it between the tar paper and the moisture barrier for laminate, thus rotting my shit. Also, being its a camp, I'm not putting down expensive "waterproof" laminate. That shit is about $2.50 + / sq ft. We found some very nice looking stuff for about $1.00 / sq ft. At roughly 1000 sq ft of floating behemoth, thats a $1500 swing on flooring alone much less underlayment. But like I mentioned, if I need it or if there is a special kind I need (more of a foam backing), then let me know.

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]