It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 My story about drunk driving 
MMT Pro Member

Post My story about drunk driving
I want to start of saying I am 27 and this is the 2nd time having been hit by a drunk driver last time was 2007.

I have been boat less for 2 years trying to get started having a family and finally talked my wife into letting me get a new bass boat. So July 25 I drive to Texas to pick it up.

Everything is good I get to take it out 4 times and planning a Saturday trip like always with my buddy. I get up sat. and start my trip down some country highways about 5 miles from the house. I reach a long straight away and see some truck headlights that look like they came in my lane (2 lane hwy) so just get a weird feeling and continue to watch the truck who has another truck following. Well he drives fine right to the point he reaches my truck and I see headlights coming at me through my side window.I don't feel a big impact and kind of think well maybe he missed that is till he reaches my boat. That is when all hell breaks loose. The road has a pretty steep slant going to a side ditch so when he struck the boat and trailer it knocks it off the road. When the boat trailer gets in the ditch it whips the truck around and the trailer is ripped of my truck. When it the trailer comes off it digs in the mud and the boat flys of the trailer.This is the end result.

So with the trailer coming off I go into 360 spins and all I remember is pressing the brakes to the floor and hanging on never knew the boat and trailer were gone. I ended up traveling 361' doing the 360s. After I stopped spinning I stepped out my truck and see the follow up truck calling the cops. So I call my buddy that I was meeting and he has about 20 mins till he can get there. While I am on the phone I see a set of headlights coming from the same direction from which I was traveling. I guess not really paying attention he hits the debris in the road (5:30 am so its dark) blowing out the front end and barreling down on me standing outside my truck. He ended up stopping with about 20 yards to spare. I really have no idea how no one was injured but the good lord was watching over me and thank fully I am able to type this stories to you guys. The guy ended up being 51 and the cops are pretty sure he was cheating on his wife because she came to the scene and found a pair of shoes in his truck that weren't hers and he was in his work clothes. He ended up blowing a .176 and admitted to falling asleep. I know everyone makes mistakes but guys if you do drink remember this pictures and just think it can and will happen in the blink of the eye. Make a call to a friend or somebody I am a living witness to say it may be a inconvenience but well worth it.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:09 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: My story about drunk driving
Man that is sickening! Sorry to see that happen to you.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:18 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Glad you're alright. Could have been tragic.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:19 pm
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

I am glad it was not worse. Because it sure could have been.

How many people are buzzed when driving their boats? Buzz equals impaired. In the water, too much to go wrong. Not even the same as on the road with nice pretty lines and a hard bottom to follow and obstacles are usually easily seen.

And I have no problem with someone sipping a beer on the way home from work. There is such a difference between doing that and being impaired. Once a buzz comes on, impaired. Maybe not drunk, but impairment is coming on.

I wish people would realize that one does not always have to drink while making driving decisions. Probably being laughed at by nearly everyone reading this. But I did all that drinking and driving. Never got a DWI, but I knew better. So many people get into problems because of drinking and driving something. Luckily, I smartened up before I killed someone, or myself or just getting a dwi.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:04 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Dam that sucks glad you made it out ok.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:18 am
MMT Super Elite Member

If the truck or boat, or trailer is repairable, make sure to claim diminution of value in addition to repair cost. Diminution of vale = used care value of un-wrecked vehicle - used car value of repaired vehicle. Some insurance companies won't tell you about that hoping to avoid paying it.

“Wisdom is not just expertise. It is knowing how much of various areas of expertise you need to know in order to make the decisions that the world needs and that you want to do,” Columbia University President Lee Bollinger.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:16 am
Profile WWW
MMT F.E.

Post My story about drunk driving
I swear that sport v looks like a merc behind that roll-deck.

Glad your ok

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:44 am
MMT Addict

Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:49 am
MMT Pro Member

Dguidry the boat was totaled so no worries on that end.I am suppose to get a final answer on my truck tom. They have 53% damage and need 75% to total but they havent looked underneath and that is where the main damage is located.I was worried about what you just explained and they did tell me about filling the other claim but hopefully it all works out.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:11 am
MMT 1000 Club

That sucks bro. Really sorry to see that. There is no way they cannot give you full replacement value. There is no way they can say there is no structural damage. Remember the ball is in your court. If they start giving you a problem tell them your back is starting to hurt. Do not take any less than replacement value on the boat and trailer. With your truck, take it to the most expensive body shops around. Tell them you do not want any bondo. Tell them you want new factory fenders. Everything factory. Then when the insurance company cuts you a check for $10,000. You can pay a cheaper body shop to do it for $5000. And pocket the other half. Works like a charm. Just stick to your guns. You are the victim. Don't settle for nothing less than what you want. Frickin drunks.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:17 am
MMT 1000 Club

Andy, how much ache and pain did you have in the days following the wreck? Sometimes, it takes up to 72 hours to realize that there is a pinched nerve or some sort of other problem.

I think God was with you on this one.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: My story about drunk drivin
Damn man that's shitty! Gald y'all ok hope the mofo gets what he deserves

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:21 am
MMT Pro Member

I got back uses from the first drunk driver wreck so with that said I ended up with a cut ankle and it was bruised.Guys I was extremely lucky with everything to be able to walk out basically untouched. What sucks is they look at like this if you hurt they are all about helping cause they know money is involved.Not getting hurt they think well it wasnt that bad and seem to careless.I am extremely nervous now while in a car and it freaking sucks.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:31 am
MMT Site Admin

Glad it worked out for you man. Had he came in your lane a little sooner it would have really been bad.

Admin | Owner
Admin | Owner
Admin | Owner
CEO | Graphic Details Digital Media

Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:23 am
Profile WWW
MMT Elite Member

Man I like to drink just as much as the next guy but that's one thing that I have done very few times and I am thankful nothing happen to me! Now I have a ole lady to drive me around now!

Glad no one was hurt!

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:07 am
MMT Pro Member

Man sorry to hear about your news. Working in Law enforcement and dealing with accidents like this is the reason I have zero tolerance for people driving drunk. I just wish that people could understand when to much Is enough. Seeing people with their heads through windshields, laying in pain with compound fractures to their bodies, or the worst..death is something that isn't pleasant for anyone to see. I hope this guy got what he deserved and is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I have had my fair share of drinks just as many of us have had. Lets just use our heads fellas and think of or friends,families, and,innocent children that may fall victim to our selfishness of driving drunk.

[color=#80BF00][b]Excel 1860 swv4f4 with GTR35L with stage 1, cam, exhaust, heads

Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:04 pm
MMT Sponsor

Man that sucks, glad your ok

gatorheads@comcast.net

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:24 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Hurt or not. Go get checked out by a doctor. If you wait 1 year it's too late to get any compensation for any injuries period. Even if you are not hurting now, who is to say a year from now you will even be able to move your extremities.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:41 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:44 pm
MMT F.E.

Glad you were not injured. Don't loose sight of your good fortune there.

Sorry about your rig. When I had a similar experience, I used the opportunity to make a few changes/upgrades to the boat and truck. I didn't really need them, but it helped me stomach the inconvenience.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:36 am
MMT Pro Member

Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:03 am
MMT Pro Member

Dang guys I tried to get these images out my head. LOL Needless to say almost a year later I can barely go down a 2 lane road without being a nervous wreck and add someone barely cross over the center line I freak out. I absolutly hate driving but its part of life. The guy that hit me barely got a slap on the wrist. Im here to say that bullshit about how they are strict on drunk drivers well this is round 2 and both drivers get out like nothing ever happened. I am busting my ass everyday saving money hopefully one day Ill get my dream boat again.

Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:36 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I sure am glad you are okay. The truck and boat will be replaced. You cannot be replaced. With my accident still fresh on my mind I can feel your sickness. I just got me a new truck and now my boat is my next project to get fixed/replaced. Again glad your okay.

Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:27 am
MMT Pro Member

I sure am glad you survived that. Seeing those pics brings back some bad memories too. Had almost the exact same thing happen to me in 2002. Totaled everything. Your boat sitting off in the ditch and getting drug up on that roll back gives me shivers when those images come flashing back. The good lord was definitly looking over you that morning with two close calls in just a matter of minutes. Hopefully he has good insurance and you can get your stuff replaced/repaired and not get one broke off in your hind end like I did. Good luck dude!

Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:12 am
MMT 1000 Club

If you didn't notice, this thread was from back in 2014...... what are you trying to sell here?

-Custom pool noodle
-stage 4 water wings

Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:47 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Moderator

^ Done.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:34 am
Profile WWW

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:24 am
MMT Pro Member

I see this is an old post, I haven't been on here for awhile due to a drunk driver also.
Back up to Nov 8 2014 5am My cousin, son and I ( and Lab) headed out to hunt. Drunk driver crossed center line, started at front bumper all the way to the end of the Gatortrax. flipped us, totaled everything. People, guns, shells, decoys, etc scattered everywhere. I don't remember the wreck, woke up in hospital hours later after having been flown there.
We all survived, that is the important thing, all the rest can be replaced.(by me I found out the hard way)
The kid got not more than 5 yrs to think about it.

Time to get another boat!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:16 pm
MMT F.E.

I drive a 2500 Ram.

The reason I drive this truck is that my chances of survival are I figure about 400X better than driving a car. I drive a lot for work and I cant tell you how many times I have almost gotten in accidents from people on their cell phones alone...

Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:10 pm
MMT Pro Member

I too drive a 2500 Ram and agree that there are less fatalities with it vs driving a car. It's not that it's an inherently safer vehicle but that your chances of a collision drop drastically since it stays in the shop so you spend less time on the road. J/k.

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]