It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cost of a concrete pump truck? **update page 2** 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Cost of a concrete pump truck?

Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:50 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I just built a 36'x48' pole building last year (with an additional 12'x24' slab on the side under an overhang for dog kennels). They have to move in a ton of material--they put down ~6" of recycled concrete for base, then I had them out rebar on 3' centers throughout and finally had them pour a full 5" thick slab (I'm in a part of the country that sees 120-140 degree temp swings in a year so frost heave is a problem and they had to build up the site a ton so I didn't want any cracked concrete from settling).

I would let them tear up the yard since they will have to bring in base (or should) anyway. It'll probably be cheaper to rip up the yard and then bring in a few loads of black dirt are re-grade... I'd rather put that extra money towards a thicker slab and more rebar than concrete delivery method.

Oh, one more thing, before you pour it, pack the crap out of it and pour tons of water around each post to let it settle (mine dropped a good 8") and then add more gravel. I mean a ton of water. I maybe poured 3-4 5 gal buckets around each post and should have done twice that. I had a bunch of settling after the slab was poured (I had to pack even more gravel underneath to support the concrete)

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:03 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:20 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:08 pm
MMT Elite Member

Here in Ga on residential mono slabs a gravel base isn't required by code as long as it's not a sub grade (basement) slab. It's not needed, poured a bunch of slabs without it. It all depends on what kind of dirt you have, freeze lines for footings (we only have to be 10" below grade with footings, 20" total). Everyone is gonna tell you that you need this or that, but your local codes are ultimately gonna tell you what you need to do, and the contractor should be in the know. What's good for Minnesota or Ga may not be necessary in La.
And actually Flint, the recycled 57 concrete is fine for a base in basement slabs, as well as residential monos. It'll pass any inspection in the state for that. The base in slabs isn't used at all to support grade, that's the job of the compacted soil underneath. Gravel in slabs (at least here in the SE) are used mostly for relief from water perking, hence the reason it's only required in a sub grade slab.

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Also that it can't pass a proof roll with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Talked to concrete guy. he mentioned that he has a few Georgia buggies that could tote it down the driveway. Only issue he said is that he doesn't really like them because they ride over your metal and mess it up before the pour. he also mentioned that he has used a pump truck connected to a line run on the ground that would allow him farther reach. Going meet him Friday to see wtf we can do.

Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Cost of a concrete pump truck? **Update**
Lil update. I noticed that my yard sloped off a lot. Which is good for drainage, but not so good for leveling my shop. ran a string line and found it to be 19" low back 60'. So I had to get some dirt brought in. We found the septic line and painted it. He took a load of dirt and piled it up over the line to disperse the load, then went to work. To my surprise, those heacy ass trucks may very small ruts, maybe 2" deep. I asked him just out of curiosity, how much heavier are the concrete trucks in comparison to his dump truck. He said legally, they can't be anymore than his truck which is 65,000 - 70,000 lbs for hwy travel. So if this is correct, then no need for a pump truck, which will save me about $2000 or more. They can come down the same path, over his mound and pour. then I had him leave me another load so thatI can back fill the ruts when done.

So is the weight limit legit?, If so, then I'm in great shape.
20170210_160532.jpg
20170210_161044.jpg
20170210_161320.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Cost of a concrete pump truck? **update page 2**
Yeah weight limit should be pretty close, a loaded concrete truck with 9 yards is gonna be close to 80k lbs. Wouldn't hurt to tell them to send 7 yard loads instead of 9, will lighten em up a little

I've never gone to Seminole for the amenities/luxury the two reasons I go down there are to kill shit and get fucked up with like minded individuals aka OG'S. If you want to swirl wine and stay in a room where politics and investment diversity are discussed (with no roaches) lake lanier is near Atlanta. If you wanna have an awesome time and maybe stay in a room where children were conceived on one side and someone got stabbed over an 8-ball on the other come on down I got a can of raid. :D

Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:47 pm
MMT Member

I'm in the ready mix business in the Baton Rouge area. I've seen them dump trucks running around br before so I'm guessing your not to far from me. If so give me a call and I can get you hooked with finishers, pumps, concrete and whatever else you need

Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:15 am
MMT Member

sounds good. Even if you use your guy you have now I can still get you a good price on the concrete itself, I'm a salesman for a local ready mix company. im not sure how he quoted the job too you, but if he is planning on buying the concrete he is probably going to mark it up, buying it yourself cuts out middle man and will save you a few dollars

Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2