It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Southern Lite LED??? 
MMT Member

Post Southern Lite LED???
Looking for a very bright headlight setup on my boat...Been looking at the southern Lite LED 2.0. But since they are so pricey I would like to hear from someone that is running this light. Had 2 12 inch Cree light bars and wasn't pleased at all when I got out somewhere where the water opened up. Didn't have much of a spotlight, just flood. Any recommendations? The lite I'm looking at is about 420

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:36 pm
MMT Super Elite Member

Post Re: Southern Lite LED???
Try to pm bigrich on here and see if he's still selling led's. He would have some good info and options for you. May find him on the bookface also, don't know how often he checks in here or if he'd get your message. Chris Rich is his name.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:39 pm
MMT Member

10-4

Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:59 pm
MMT Pro Member

I've been running their original boat light for two years now with no problems. Half of the light is flood and the other half is a spot light, it's just all made into one housing. I have mine wired to where I can run flood, spot, or both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:13 pm
MMT Member

Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:13 pm
MMT Member

The Gen 2 is the way to go for that, supposedly shines farther. When running open waterways I can see 300-400 yards pretty easily if there is no fog.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:55 am
MMT 1000 Club

That seems to be the problem with led lights. If there's nothing to reflect off from, they suck. If your in the backwoods or running boat roads or even near shore there bad ass. I've got a seelite 20" wav and it will light up a boat road or cut through the Phrag like it's day time. However, crossing 3-5 miles of open water, I typically run with no light just my navs or a hand held spotlight to check for open water blinds simply because I can see better without the led. I've been considering adding two halogens one on each side on the led just for running open water?

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:20 am
MMT Pro Member

Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:23 pm
MMT Member

10-4. Yea I have had the same experience with led on open water. I think the halogen idea would be handy.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:18 am
MMT Pro Member

I'm not sure how it is outside of Louisiana but I got safety checked by Mr. Green Jeans on the way out to hunt one morning. Had my LED bar on, he was sitting in a blind corner on one of the main channels from the launch. I thought he was some duck commander sitting in the main channel with his spread out. I stopped when I saw who it was. Anyways... He said you can be issued a ticket for running with your led lights (bright lights other than nav) in main channels. Suggested I only use them once I got into the marsh and off the main channel.

I was fishing one night on the inter coastal 4 or 5 years ago (I was younger and dumber then) with my led light on. The tug didn't appreciate it. Flashed me on the way by and I didn't get the message. He came back by an hour or so later. When he saw me sitting there, he slowed down so his stern would throw a wake. About threw me out the boat. I've tried to be respectful since then. I forget how bright they are when there's nothing for them to bounce off of.

Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:30 am
MMT Pro Member

Got my on amazon, 12" long, for under 50 dollars. Run it 2 seasons it will light up the world. Great buy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]