It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Old Fishing Tackle 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Old Fishing Tackle
I have never been one to collect or horde much of anything. Having spent close to 3 decades in the military, it is best not to have to drag to much stuff from place to place.

One thing I would have liked to have picked up more of is old fishing lures. My grandfather sort of collected them. When I was a kid I got a handful of his and still have them. Most of the stuff is from the late 50s, on up to the early 70s.

I bet there are some folks on this site that have some real wing dinger collections of old fishing tackle passed on from generations back.

There were two boys in the family that bass fished as kids, and still bass fish today. Neither of us ended up with my Grandfather's massive tackle box. One of my worthless dope smoking cousins ran off with it, and I am sure the entire collection ended up in a pawn shop.

One thing I did end up with is a 1960s Headdon bait casting reel. I do not used it, but it has always impressed me how nice the fit, finish, and craftsmanship is on these older reels.

I have the reel, the case, and all of the original paperwork, including the warranty card that was never mailed in.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Old Fishing Tackle
The best old lures are the ones with stories behind them.

The Headdon Tadpolly was used by my grandfather to land a 40 inch tiger musky. It still has the teeth marks visible.

When I was a kid in the 70s, every old man was a WWII vet. I knew all of them in the neighborhood, and liked to visit and hear their stories. I have a few lures from some of these old men.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm
MMT Pro Member

I have a small collection of antique fishing lures. I collect them and old shot up wooden and cork decoys that I wish I could hear the stories they could tell. I'll post up a pic later when I get home.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:54 pm
MMT Pro Member

Here's a few of mine

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Good looking collection.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

The yellow broken back that has the big silver mouth, was that called a jitterbug? I have fished with almost all those bates. Devil's horse was something else. If you can find a broken back darter that is frog colored, and a orange bellied Palomine, they would still catch fish today in the right conditions.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:14 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:19 am
MMT 1000 Club

caught fish as a kid with those. I bet they would work today too.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:33 am
MMT Addict

Interesting to wonder if they would still catch fish in the modern era... I assumed they would be just as effective now as in years past. Maybe even better since the fish haven't seen them before... :lol: Sure technology changes, and things always improve, but a fishing lure is a fishing lure. Plenty of old pictures of full stringers back then... If you take away the electronics and innovations in rods and reels, these lures would get it done now as they did then.

That got me to thinking- Would waterfowl decoys of years gone by work as well now as they did then? I doubt that. I swear ducks get smarter and learn from year to year. When I was young 10-12 we shot lots of ducks over 2 liter bottles that were painted and old tires cut in half to look like dark geese in fields. I don't think that would be overly effective now, even up in Canada where the ducks "appear" stupid in late September and October. Of course, old decoys combined with the right location and some gray skys would fool a few no matter what happens. They just wouldn't bring them in like modern decoys would. Just my thoughts.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:46 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I tell you KJH, if I had a Palomine, and fished during spawning season, It may be the only bait I would use. It was a large bait, had three big treble hooks. When you caught a bass, a lot of time it was the side of the mouth or just barely hooked. I was taught to throw it over a in water deep enough for spawning, but not too deep, let it sit, and it would aggravate a bass. They were trying to get rid of it rather than trying to feed on it it seemed. And it was sort of crawfish colored.

Duckhunting with my dad was something in the late 60's and early 70's. No camo, no dogs, no decoys, no nothing. Shotgun, call, in the wooded swamp was it. Always good for two or three ducks. And always in the late afternoon.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:01 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:42 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I got these from my grandma. There was close to a hundred all in an old first aid box. Most all are handmade.

I'll second the June bug. I use the lizard more than worm but it's my go to soft lure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:23 am
Profile WWW
MMT 1000 Club

TPerkins.

I really like how you have those displayed. They look good.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:17 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Appreciate It RangerP! Pic doesn't do it justice. Bass is a skin mount from my other grandpa. Don't know an exact date but the phone number has letters in it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]