It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 SE Oklahoma? 
MMT 1000 Club

Post SE Oklahoma?
Serious question.

After retiring from the Army, I stayed put in NW Arkansas for a bit to try to figure out what I want to do in the next phase. I took a job working operations at a logistics company, and I sure do not want to do that for the next 10 or 15 years.

The military has a program called Troops to Teachers. I signed up and found out that with my masters in education and prior teaching experience that it will be pretty easy and fast to get my teaching certification in most southern states.

The good folks in Oklahoma contacted me, and I am now working toward my state teaching certification and can be teaching as early as this next semester.

I would like to teach high school history or American government and get into coaching football.

I am looking at McAlester and the surrounding areas that sit south of Lake Eufaula, and also the area around Lake Kerr. I never been down to that area. From just looking at Google Maps and satellite pics, it looks like an excellent place for a mud motor, and for fishing and waterfowl hunting.

Anyone got experience with this area? Is it an area you would want to move your family to?

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:44 pm
MMT F.E.

Post Re: SE Oklahoma?
That s Yankeeville! Its north of the Red River.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:46 am
MMT Elite Member

Excellent area for waterfowl.

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Don't have any experience with the area other than I'll say you won't have any problems killing piles of ducks if you put some homework in...

Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:51 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

I make a couple trips a year to Southern Oklahoma we always find excellent hunting and low pressure there are small lakes and reserves scattered everywhere that you can hunt. I have not been to the lakes you mentioned but there are some a little more south central that are good. Most of the small lakes we hunted seems almost like they had never been hunted. only saw a duck blind in one and only ran into another hunter 1 time. Most of the people that do hunt up there are driving the mainland trying to get permission to winter wheat fields, we used to do that as well but it got old when it became a competition with every other person up there dragging a trailer full of decoys.

Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:33 am
MMT Pro Member

I live in NE OK and have hunted both Eufaula and Kerr.. Eufaula more than Kerr though. Both can be awesome hunting and there are plenty of spots to run a mud boat. If you ever want to get up my way let me know, there are several good lakes to hunt in this area as well.

Death Waits In The Dark! NSDQ!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]