It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Buy a Gator-Tail they said.... 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Buy a Gator-Tail they said....
I hear Delta called up some folks they sold the XD to. I never got a call.

Spoke to Russ and he said the model # ending in 0009-J1 is the bad ones.

I used my phone to scan the power code sticker on the right of the valve cover, and my number was not one of the affected ones.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:08 pm
MMT Pro Member

Are those wires made in China?

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Pro Member

Anybody heard when the replacement regulators may be coming out?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:39 pm
MMT Pro Member

My dealer met with a Brigs rep, The rep told him they are out of stock. And that my dealer is ON THE LIST, The rep told him we should not use the motors and for sure no electrical equipment because they wont recharge off the motor. (trolling motor, Lights) To unhook from battery and wait. Well its under warrantee so I gonna use mine!

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:05 am
MMT Member

Post Buy a Gator-Tail they said....

Going to wait until the end of the summer to buy my new motor. What I would look like running in my waders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:32 pm
MMT F.E.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:56 am
MMT Elite Member

I emailed my sales rep asking what's the deal. Well he told me straight up the briggs only notified the OEM manufacturers so they can trickle down the word to the end uses as there is so little motor affected. Briggs has not issued a recall on these units. Currently the only fix is to use the older style regulator (or don't use the engine at all) and disconnect the battery.
Well Briggs didn't say to swap to the old style regulator so that's somewhat out of the question, and yes the motor is under warranty, use at your own discretion and enjoy the thing.... I highly doubt briggs will recall them, They will just send out another note for those affected to be repaired.... AGAIN by word of mouth from the OEM's..... not a national recall.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am
MMT 1000 Club

6.5 Backwater SWOMP Lite / 1440 PolarKraft

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:18 am
MMT Pro Member

Anything new on this? Briggs ever send out new regulators?

Tue May 29, 2018 3:29 pm
MMT Pro Member

Forgot about this thread.

My motor actually caught on fire (took the whole "it wont happen to me" approach)

Brought it to Boat dr, the next day briggs sent a lawyer and engineer to look at it. Same day local briggs rep called me, told me everything was covered, and it would be approximately one month. 4 days later Ande called me and said it was ready.

I dont know if he pulled some strings, used parts from other motors, briggs overnighted parts. Dont know, didnt care and didnt ask. lol. But there are new parts floating around. They ended up changing the entire electrical system on the motor as well as all the plastic shrouds. I was told all parts are brand new, so Im assuming briggs was $hitting bricks, as they said mine was the first one they have seen down here that actually had a fire.

Also I might add, that this problem isnt gator tail specific. Anything that had a 37 efi briggs was subject to the recall, as well as the new 40's.

Briggs rep explained that all the 40's had the same harness and they told all dealers to wait to sell them untill all harness were update. Come to find out the 40 was supposed to be released last year, but at briggs request they waited.

Hope this helps anyone still wondering.

Wed May 30, 2018 8:52 am
MMT 1000 Club

Can’t believe I just now saw this. Mine went up in flames back in 2015, under a different cause though. Fuel hose snagged on something and pulled it out of the motor and shot gas on the exhaust igniting everything. Fortunately Tad and James were right behind me and quick with a bucket. Only had a few melted wires and clutch cover.

Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:36 pm
MMT Pro Member

QnS, my buddy last year had the exact thing happen. Hose caught and gas hit the muffler and up it went. He was lucky, there was another boat nearby that came to his rescue. He had a MB 37 EFI. Man did they give him a hard time before they agreed to repair for him.

Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:53 am
MMT 1000 Club

Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:07 am
MMT 1000 Club

Yeah my case too, another boat was right behind me and they grabbed a bucket of water and doused it out before anything got burnt bad. My clutch cover melted alittle bit but not beyond useable. Had to get a new throttle cable, and some wires melted alittle bit but not bad. That reminds me..I need a new wiring harnesses lol

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 am
MMT Pro Member

Russ, They did cover it under warranty. But it took them about 2 months and a lot of threats to get there. I think it was his 3rd time out. Ran great afterward. I laughed last duck season. He had 4 fire extinguishers placed all around the boat. :lol:

Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:27 pm
MMT 1000 Club

So he pulled the fuel line himself on a limb or something? Or it just caught fire?

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:16 pm
MMT 1000 Club

When it happened to me, the fuel hose somehow got around one of the transom bolts and when trimmed down it pulled out the motor. Shot gas on the exhaust and ignited. That said though I would imagine it would be pretty hard to snag on a tree limb and do that

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am
MMT 1000 Club

What I'm getting at, quack, is that other guy said he had the same issue as you, yet apparently that's somehow a warranty issue? If it randomly caught fire, fine, but if it's because the fuel line did what yours did, I don't understand why that would be a warranty thing. Just trying to figure that one out.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:58 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:24 am
MMT 1000 Club

I see what your getting at now. Yeah I don’t know how you could pull that off under warranty...mines still burnt up to this day because i wouldn’t imagine they would warranty it... maybe I should call an see if they’ll warranty it an I can get me one of them new 40’s 8-)

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:59 pm
MMT Pro Member

From what he told me, he thinks the fuel line pulled during a turn and it came off. Fuel splattered on the muffler the fire ensued. I can't remember all the details, but it must have been a design issue.

He just got the motor and it was his 2nd time out. He stated he was going at top speed, looked back and flames were streaking out the back like a drag car. When he stopped, the flames went vertical about 20 feet. His extinguisher was in the back and he couldn't get to it. 2 guys saw it and rush over and tossed him theirs and he was able to put out the fire.

I have since moved my fire extinguisher and made sure all connections are tight.

I'll ask him to clarify.

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Glad all was ok. He's lucky there and lucky it got the warranty treatment, because I think most of us agree on the fuel lines being secured to their appropriate locations and being long enough that turning isn't a problem is our responsibility, not the manufacturer's.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat

Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2