It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Boat/Motor Suggestions - Saginaw Bay Marshes 

Post Boat/Motor Suggestions - Saginaw Bay Marshes
All,

I’m in the market for a boat. I was hoping I could state my needs and the environment it’ll operate in and I could get some suggestions. I spent about 15 hours between today and yesterday reading and researching which motor goes with what hull and what motor works best in what but I’m having trouble finding exactly what I’m looking for.

Needs
    -Smaller the better, I need to be able to run it solo and squeeze into flooded corn and tight marshes.
    -I like to be able to haul at least two guys, a dog, and gear.
    I won’t always hunt out of the boat.
    -Reliable, I don’t need to set any speed records.
    -I’d like to add a trolling motor and do some bass fishing in the summer. I’d also like things like a switch panel, grab bar and a floor (not ribs).
    -Boat Blind, I’d like to install an Avery Quick Set Blind.

Environment
    -Water Depth - A few inches to about 8 feet.
    -Water Area - Primarily marshes and flooded corn, bay shore only when it’s calm and will remain close to shore.
    -Water Type - Freshwater, Saginaw Bay.
    -Bottom Type- Silty, goopy mud, and very weedy. Otherwise sand.
    -Distance - I can’t foresee myself traveling more than a mile by boat to a spot.

Originally I was going to go with a War Eagle 436FLD with a Backwater 13hp LT, but I feel like that might be too small.

Then I was going to go with a War Eagle 542FLD with a Backwater 23hp LT, but I also do waterfowl photography and experience sheet ice in the last season and early spring, so I had concerns with the .080 hull.

Then a local dealer recommended a War Eagle 548LDV, which has the 21” transom and mod V that finishes flat, a .100 hull, with a Backwater 23hp LT, however, I’m concerned about the compatibility of the LT with the Mod V and/or transom of the War Eagles. I was also looking at the Mud Buddy Mini Sport HD 25 SD for this boat.

I don’t go stump blasting and I just need to get through some weedy junk an outboard can’t make it through. I’m not trying to drop $20k on 16’ with a SD because I feel like it’s overkill, but I’m open to anything. I want to do it right the first time and I don’t want to buy any junk. So I appreciate any input anyone can give me. Thank you.

SM

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:02 am
MMT Member

Post Re: Boat/Motor Suggestions - Saginaw Bay Marshes
Check out Camp and Cruise if you are willing to drive to the west side of Grand Rapids. I got my Sea Ark there and I think it is a better made hull than the War Eagles you are looking at. I got a 1652 with a 35GTR for 16k. Might get what you want at your budget.

You might also consider a kayak or canoe for the flooded corn, especially if there are dykes to pull over. You can then get the right size boat for the bay and still be able to access the tight spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:33 pm
MMT F.E.

What speeds do you want?

If you just want to push through crap but don’t mind running 10-12 mph, get a cheap 16’ Jon boat and throw a 23ish hp LT on it for like $4,000.

If you need to cover water and distance, then you’ll probably end up going more in price, but still, if you’re willing to drive, it’s not hard to find a 16’-18’ rig with a big block LT or SD on it for 10k. Yeah brand new costs more, but you can’t find deals on used boats if you look.

Smaller is better till you try to carry 3 people... 16’ is minimum I’d ever want for any application, but each person is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:06 pm
MMT Pro Member

bluesky2012 wrote:
What speeds do you want?

If you just want to push through crap but don’t mind running 10-12 mph, get a cheap 16’ Jon boat and throw a 23ish hp LT on it for like $4,000.
If you need to cover water and distance, then you’ll probably end up going more in price, but still, if you’re willing to drive, it’s not hard to find a 16’-18’ rig with a big block LT or SD on it for 10k. Yeah brand new costs more, but you can’t find deals on used boats if you look.
Smaller is better till you try to carry 3 people... 16’ is minimum I’d ever want for any application, but each person is different.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

THIS!!!!!!!!!
You will always be able to sell it if u want to change

Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]