It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 MMT Search and Rescue 
MMT Member

Post MMT Search and Rescue
Last year I remember watching stories of the droves of people like us heading down to Houston to help with Search and Rescue after the hurricane and massive flooding. Being new to the community and this site, I wondered when something like this happens, does MMT make a new thread that stays at the top so we can all join up , help, and stay connected?? I dont want to sound like I'm hoping for it to happen, but I'm seriously on standby to run SAR again with my boat and not have to worry about policies and procedures just get to help people again.

I can tell you one thing, if another major event happens and theres major flooding, I'll be there!!

Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:54 pm
MMT Site Admin

Post Re: MMT Search and Rescue
I've actually created a forum dedicated to that:

If MMT can be used for the greater good of helping, I'm all for it.

Admin | Owner
Admin | Owner
Admin | Owner
CEO | Graphic Details Digital Media

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:18 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Just chiming in as someone that did rescues for 7 days during Harvey...(And I'm not the only one there was a ton of us)

Organization was non existent. Local Government was not equipped to handle the volume of rescues nor the organization of citizens with boats and equipment to coordinate the efforts.

Social Media (as much as I hate to say it) was the best way. "Word of mouth" on facebook was the best bet to find where help was needed and how to get there. Plus texts from my friends that i have through mud motors.

There was a walkie talkie app called "zillo" That a lot people used to help stay informed, but even that you were just listening and trying to figure out who needed help, where.

I honestly hope that we never have to live through an event like Harvey again, but as man progresses with technology and we pour more and more concrete, I feel these major flood events will happen more often.

I am all for some sort of organization, (online would be best) of some sort for coordinating civilian type rescue efforts.
The how is beyond my capabilities, but I know I and several other on here, can give feedback regarding the implementation of the program, online source, or whatever comes up.

Kool-Aid Brigade

www.southernfowler.com

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:22 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Be careful with too much organization, because then one of a few things can happen. Efforts get bogged down in organization (who's in charge) crap, there's now a face for lawsuits from some idiot(s), the controlling govt interest tries to take charge because of authority, which we've seen that while it may be well intentioned, it can make it difficult for help to get where it needs to, and worst of all, some jackass will start trying to take money in the name of "the mudmotorguys" and it never makes it way down to actually help. Just some buzzkill to think about. It's probably better that we keep doing things as we've done (with lessons learned from Harvey and baton rouge/south east la) and not spend too much time trying to get too worried about organization.

#CFFITR
#TheGhostBoat
#whoneedsphysicsihaveamudmotor

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:49 pm
MMT Moderator

Like 3CK I rescued for a week and agree with his comments 100%.

In my experience, it helped having a LEO on my boat.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:10 pm
Profile WWW
MMT Member

Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:07 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Man there was more posts on FB of people needing help than I could keep track of. There was enough here in my local area that I really didn’t need to look for places to help. It was just neighborhood to neighborhood. They were all needing help. The local sheriffs dept. and GW’s were pretty helpful on sending us to places too.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

A good resource to add to an organization like this is a few dispatchers. People that are experienced in handling the multiple calls and limited information then distributing resources. By a couple days in you could tell a huge difference in the experience the cajun navy and other 'dispatchers' had gained in handling the rescue requests.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:04 pm
MMT Addict

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]