It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Eco plug for oil pans 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Eco plug for oil pans
Any of you guys using these things? My son came home this weekend and I saw an oil spot in my driveway. I gave him my 2007 silverado 1500 4x4 that was in fantastic shape. I got under the truck and noticed that there was a drip coming from the oil pan plug. First thing I noticed was the plug was different. It wasn't the plug that I had and wasn't sure who put it there. So I tightened it up slightly and the leak stopped. Well he came home this weekend and said that he got his oil changed and low in behold, f'n leaking again. So I got online looking around for about an hour to try and found out what kind of plug this was because I had never seen it before. After a long search, I found it. Eco plug...... made for striped out oil pan threads. Well now i'm pissed, because I know that one of the clown shops he went to in new Orleans fucked the threads up and he had to have this installed. I went back and looked at his receipts and there was no mention of it listed, so it could have been done when he first went to Delgado for school this year.

But after reading the reviews online, this freaking thing is actually nice. magnetically held in place. Has a black vinyl plastic cover for it. Simply pull the magnetic plunger, drain the oil, wip off the seal, put it back. The stud, once installed, never has to be removed. This is where I think someone f'd up. When installing this tapered plug, once the threads are cut (it cuts its own threads), your suppose to install a sealant on the threads when installing. The original installer might have done that. When he just recently got his oil changed, the shop may not have known WTF this thing was, unscrewed it, thus messing up the sealant and putting it back. It has a slight drip from the thread area. Not much at all, but enough to notice in the driveway. There is no torque procedure on their website. I don't want to overtighten the thing and crack the pan then I'll really be screwed. When he comes back, i plan on cleaning the surface real well and running a bead of ultra grey around it to stop the drip.

Anyone seen or use these thing?

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]