It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 10:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Weekly Lesson - A REAL Life Saver 
MMT Elite Member

Post Weekly Lesson - A REAL Life Saver
Those of you expecting to find something about a Personal Floatation Device…wrong thread! Those of you wanting to know about Salvation…right thread! I am still trying to keep it on topic so the Christian Forum isn't being overly offensive. :lol: So, if I tricked you into clicking on this thread...it worked.

Coincidentally, I log in this afternoon and read B-RAD's thread on "I Believe" after I had put all this together.

In last week’s topic, somebody had asked about “Salvation” and we somehow steered from Water Baptism into this subject. So, I only thought it appropriate to write about it this week. There are many passages throughout the Bible discussing Salvation and having Eternal Life.

First, why do we need a “Life Saver” …or why do we need to be saved? We are all sinners...that should be enough reason to be saved?

Romans 3:22-23
22 We are made right with God by placing our faith in Jesus Christ. And this is true for everyone who believes, no matter who we are. 23 For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

Continue to sin…you will surely perish. Believe, you may have eternal life.

Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

In order to be saved, we have to “get right with the Man” as the Van Zant song goes. In order to “get right with the Man,” you need to have a relationship with Him. How do you get that relationship? The answer is through Grace and through Faith. “We are made right with God (we receive His Grace) by placing our faith in Jesus Christ.” Once you have established this relationship, it cannot be improved upon through your obedience nor should it be used as an excuse to commit sins. In other words, it is not like with your spouse where you get brownie points for doing “chore-play” around the house so you can get lucky later that night. Nor is it like buying a dozen roses to ask her forgiveness when you stayed out too late with your buddies. The similarity that does exist is this – you should already be helping your wife around the house and you shouldn’t be staying out late with your buddies! This is the parallel with your relationship with God. You should be working hard to please God all the time.

So, how do you put this life saver on? How do you go about being saved? This is the same question the Philippian Jailer asked Paul and Silas.

Acts 16:30-31
30 Then he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?" 31 And they said, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household."
The Bible has many other references to this same Life Saving principle. In the book of John alone, you find these verses:
John 3:16 (Who doesn't recognize this one?)
16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

John 1:12
12 But to all who did receive Him, who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God,
John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Pretty simple, isn’t it? Not a very complicated life saver at all. No five buckles on the front or straps between your legs or CO2 bottles to screw in and hope the thing doesn’t get wet. God’s not asking much from you, is He? Just to believe and to have faith. In return, you are getting everything…the gift of eternal life!

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.

And the Congregation said....

Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:56 pm
MMT Pro Member

Post Weekly Lesson - A REAL Life Saver
Amen brother! Good stuff there.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: Weekly Lesson - A REAL Life Saver
Thanks Brad...your daily devotional on "I Believe" was spot on!

Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]