It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:21 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Weekly Lesson - Does Using a Guide Help You? 
MMT Elite Member

Post Weekly Lesson - Does Using a Guide Help You?
I have occasionally had the opportunity to use various fishing and hunting guides. I have had guides on exotic game hunts, bear hunting in Alberta, and yes, even fishing in south Louisiana! Why would a person need a fishing or hunting guide? The word “guide” can be used as a verb or noun and here are definitions of each:

n - a person who guides, especially one hired to guide travelers, tourists, hunters, etc.
v – 1. to assist a person to travel through, or reach a destination in, an unfamiliar area, as by accompanying or giving directions to the person. 2. to accompany a person showing points of interest and to explain their meaning or significance.

Most good fishing or hunting guides have a reputation built up by the people they have guided. Former clients spread the word that the guide can put them in good spots, teach them techniques for harvesting and offer great harvesting opportunities. Good guides take good care of their clients. If a guide is really good, people will flock to him.

When you think about it, Jesus is a guide. He has a reputation built up through His teachings and successful healings. People flocked to Him everywhere He went. People listened to His teachings and messages. Men basically quit what they were doing and became His disciples. Did you know that four of His disciples were fishermen?

Mark 1:16-18
16 One day as Jesus was walking along the shore of the Sea of Galilee, He saw Simon (Peter) and his brother Andrew throwing a net into the water, for they fished for a living. 17 Jesus called out to them, “Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!” 18 And they left their nets at once and followed Him.

The disciples, James and John were also fishermen that when Jesus asked them to follow Him, they left their nets and their father to follow.

That is one heck of a guide! Where ever Jesus went huge crowds gathered and followed. He guided these people and gave them directions. He instructed them through his parables, stories and experiences. He healed people everywhere He went. That is what I call being successful!

Jesus is still guiding people, today! He guides us on how to live our lives and gives numerous guiding instructions throughout the Bible. Here are just a couple:

Matthew 16:24
24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me.

Luke 6:47
47 I will show you what it’s like when someone comes to me, listens to my teaching, and then follows it.

When you follow Jesus and follow His teachings, it is not always about bagging big trophies and filling limits. Sometimes there will be bad days in the field where you come up empty handed. But don’t forget, Jesus didn’t always have good days in the field, either. He had one really terrible day. Luckily for us, His suffering was so that our sins could be forgiven! So, if you have a bad day in the field of life, take comfort in what the “Top Guide” has done for us!

1 Peter 2:21
21 For God called you to do good, even if it means suffering, just as Christ suffered for you. He is your example, and you must follow in his steps.

If you use a hunting or fishing guide, you usually come away from the experience a little wiser than when you got there. When you use Jesus as your guide, you will become a much better harvester of LIFE!!

And everybody said….AMEN!

Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]