It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Reason for the Season 
MMT Elite Member

Post The Reason for the Season
Remember to keep Christ in Christmas. Jesus is the reason for the season. Share these passages with your family this Christmas and share the true meaning of Christmas...the celebration of the birth of Jesus.

From the New Testament Books of Luke and Matthew:

The Birth of Jesus
Luke 2

1 At that time the Roman emperor, Augustus, decreed that a census should be taken throughout the Roman Empire. 2 (This was the first census taken when Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 All returned to their own ancestral towns to register for this census. 4 And because Joseph was a descendant of King David, he had to go to Bethlehem in Judea, David’s ancient home. He traveled there from the village of Nazareth in Galilee. 5 He took with him Mary, his fiancée, who was now obviously pregnant.
6 And while they were there, the time came for her baby to be born. 7 She gave birth to her first child, a son. She wrapped him snugly in strips of cloth and laid him in a manger, because there was no lodging available for them.

The Shepherds and Angels
8 That night there were shepherds staying in the fields nearby, guarding their flocks of sheep. 9 Suddenly, an angel of the Lord appeared among them, and the radiance of the Lord’s glory surrounded them. They were terrified, 10 but the angel reassured them. “Don’t be afraid!” he said. “I bring you good news that will bring great joy to all people. 11 The Savior—yes, the Messiah, the Lord—has been born today in Bethlehem, the city of David! 12 And you will recognize him by this sign: You will find a baby wrapped snugly in strips of cloth, lying in a manger.”
13 Suddenly, the angel was joined by a vast host of others—the armies of heaven—praising God and saying,
14 “Glory to God in highest heaven,
and peace on earth to those with whom God is pleased.”
15 When the angels had returned to heaven, the shepherds said to each other, “Let’s go to Bethlehem! Let’s see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”
16 They hurried to the village and found Mary and Joseph. And there was the baby, lying in the manger. 17 After seeing him, the shepherds told everyone what had happened and what the angel had said to them about this child. 18 All who heard the shepherds’ story were astonished, 19 but Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought about them often. 20 The shepherds went back to their flocks, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen. It was just as the angel had told them.

The Wise Men
Matthew 2

1 Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, 2 “Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.”
3 King Herod was deeply disturbed when he heard this, as was everyone in Jerusalem. 4 He called a meeting of the leading priests and teachers of religious law and asked, “Where is the Messiah supposed to be born?”
5 “In Bethlehem in Judea,” they said, “for this is what the prophet wrote:
6 ‘And you, O Bethlehem in the land of Judah,
are not least among the ruling cities of Judah,
for a ruler will come from you
who will be the shepherd for my people Israel.’”
7 Then Herod called for a private meeting with the wise men, and he learned from them the time when the star first appeared. 8 Then he told them, “Go to Bethlehem and search carefully for the child. And when you find him, come back and tell me so that I can go and worship him, too!”
9 After this interview the wise men went their way. And the star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! 11 They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
12 When it was time to leave, they returned to their own country by another route, for God had warned them in a dream not to return to Herod.

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:31 pm
MMT Elite Member

Post Re: The Reason for the Season
It's that time, again! Merry Christmas to all. Share this message with your family to show the real meaning behind CHRISTmas!

Sent using Morse Code from my not so smart phone.

Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:59 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Merry Christmas Blu. Great post

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:59 am
MMT 1000 Club

I like a lot of things about Christmas time---the music, the tree and lights, many other things. But for me it is not about gifts and giving. What it is about to me is celebrating what my mom and dad brought together, my family now numbering 19. Not big but big quality. My gift.

On Christmas Eve, I celebrate Christ. I go to afternoon church at the cathedral in NOLA. When I am there, I feel the presence of God and his Son in me. On that spot, there has been over 300 years of worship. Unbroken, a church has been there in some form since a settlement was established on the banks of the Mississippi by Christians. Go out for a great meal. At about midnight, I get on my knees and give prayers of thanks for finding God through Jesus. I have been doing this for about 6 years. It is very liberating.

Jesus was born sometimes in April they think. I hope that he forgives us for celebrating in Dec. But most Christians celebrate him many days out of the year.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]