It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Raffle Questions 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Raffle Questions
Fellas, I need some input if you have had some experience with this. And as a buyer of a raffle tickets.

I am helping our church with a raffle. We need to make a lot of money each year for about the next 10 years. So the raffle will be $100 per ticket. The pay off we are trying for will be like $7500 for the main winner. And there will be a second place, and third place--not sure of the money on that. We are thinking we need to sell 500 to 1000 tickets. So the odds are good for a win. The ticket will also include an entertainment night with food for those that buy a ticket and and first come first serve basis that RSVP.

Has anyone done a higher price raffle like this? Did it work well? $100 seems like nothing these days or it could seem like a lot to some. Where is a good place to get raffle tickets for a low cost? We have not started at all so any ideas could be put on the table for the committee.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:31 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Raffle Questions
No ideas? I know that the men (and one woman) of MMT have done many things. I figured somebody would have some info. So I am bumpin it up.

Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:30 am
MMT 1000 Club

I would throw in a silent auction. Also make sure there is booze there to lower people's inhibitions. My daughters church has these all the time and they make a killing. Do you guys to bake sales or fish fries.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:32 pm
MMT Elite Member

Booze is great for DU or Delta fundraising - but no bueno for church events...

Few things -
1. it must be officially sponsored by a recognized non-profit organization
2. it is unwise to sell tickets which total more than the full retail value of the prizes
due to various legal reasons
3. try to get the prizes donated for the advertising benefits and provide the donor
with reciepts from the non-profit organization which define the full retail value that
they can use to write-off on taxes
4. guided hunts or fishing trips are great but only when provided by legitimately
operating professional businesses
5. tickets must be numbered and name the non-profit beneficiary as well as how many
tickets are sold - you can sell add spaces on the tickets or list the donors

Live Auction is great for last minute donations or if donors are willing to spice things up
and are not limited to list prices. Take any donations at all and put "smalls" out as door
prizes especially if you sell tickets to the event. Pies cooked by the church ladies
bring in good money too when sold on a seperate live auction right after dinner.

Sell tickets for the drawing - have church men put on a "Wild Game Buffet" where
10 or 12 members cook their best dishes and try to outdo each other - award some
prizes to the 1st 2nd 3rd and runners up best dishes

Try and have the church find an "outdoors" related motivational christian speaker
to address and entertain the crowd. We found a fly casting expert who while
demondstrating to the kids gave a great message and 10 or 12 kids filled out
information cards saying they were interested in baptism and more info on accepting
Christ. Makes an ideal church event if even one heart is touched.

Finally - have winners sign something to receive their prizes to prove that you actually
gave away the items advertised by the raffle - this protects the non-profit organization
in case prizes are won by persons not present or someone complains to authorities
that something was improper.

PM - for more info I may have omitted - that worked well for us !

GigaFowl

:idea:

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but
it is the journey that matters, in the end."

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:38 pm
MMT Addict

A local school does a 30 guns in 30 days raffle. The winning ticket number is whatever the evening cash 3 lottery numbers are. That maintains transparency and if no one has that number, they don't give away a gun that day which helps the bottom line. Tickets are $35 a piece and from what I can tell they make a lot of money off of it.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:53 pm
MMT 1000 Club

My daughters church auctions everything. First to be served dinner, best church parking spot and even first dibs on Eucharist.

Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:19 pm
MMT 1000 Club

thanks fellas. I appreciate it.

Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]