Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Jug fishing with a longtail 
MMT Pro Member

Post Jug fishing with a longtail
https://youtu.be/35tpwxvJSIk

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:36 am
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: Jug fishing with a longtail
Thats a nice mess of fish. I like jug fishing too.

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Is the fellow fishing a member on here, or did someone just share his video?

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:00 am
MMT Addict

Willie is real proud of his long tail setup. It's a Swamp Runner and they have their own forum at the vendors site, where Willie has hung out for a while.

Thai long tails get a lot of trash talk, but the swamp runner is actually a pretty good setup. I've had two of them, a Backwater, and a GTR.

I like to give Swamp Runner some love. Their owner is super helpful and has great customer service. The motors are good in shallow water and veggies, but not GREAT in mud.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:47 am
MMT Pro Member

Yup, that's me. Or as I like to call myself Chief Pencil Pusher. These jugs turned out pretty well. I also have a few bamboo jug I made a few weeks ago. I've rerigged them and plan to take them out next time. That will give me 21 jugs in all. The longtail is more maneuverable than people think, although it does require more muscle. People in southeast Asia use these kinds of motors all the time running nets and trotlines and such, similar to what I'm doing with the jugs.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:57 am
MMT Addict

I run trot lines / jugs with my kids. Honestly...the kids are the main reason I wanted something with neutral. A lot of times its the kids (3/5) and my wife in the boat. Wife isn't the best boat help and have neutral just makes it so much easier.

They do navigate pretty well, and are great for A to B trips.

I can't view you're video right now (work network), but how are you building your jugs? I've been using 12-18'' of 1/2'' PVC jammed into a noodle. Hole drilled on one end with hook tied on. It fits snug enough that the noodle isn't coming off, so I don't even "secure" the noodle to the jug anymore. i use to pin one side or throw on a few wraps of electric tape. I've had my current jug set for 7 years and the only real damage is UV from the sun when I've forgotten them outside.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:05 am
MMT Pro Member

hmm, not great in mud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhAJw_EsUKs

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:32 am
MMT Pro Member

Let's see I have types of jugs. (1) swimming pool noddles, but I use a wooden dowel down the center, screw eyelet epoxied into the wood, Triple Threat snap swivel, 4/0 circle hook, 30 lbs Berkely Big Game. It's a floating jug, and I never need more than seven to 10 feet of line. (2) Bamboo jugs: bamboo is hollow making the perfect jug. I have exactly the same setup as far as the terminal end. It is also a free-running jug. If you can find a stand of bamboo at least 1.5 inches in diameter, you'll have a nice jug. I coat my jugs with spar varnish to protect them form UV damage.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:44 am
MMT Addict

loaded the video on my phone. good lucking jugs!

I could run across a mud flat with minimal or no water easily in the SPS. But if I stopped...I couldnt never get the bite to get back moving or get back on plain. I could never get enough bite. i always contributed it to the small prop.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:52 am
MMT Pro Member

Glad you got a chance to watch the video. Hope you didn't get in trouble at work, lol.

I see what you're saying about the mud. Yeah, these Thai outboard were designed as general utility outboards first than can get you through some muck, as opposed to a true knee-deep-stuck-in-the-mud-claw-yourself-out specialized unit.

It's like the difference between an AK-47 and an M4/M16. The Kalashnikov is a machine gun that can act as a rifle. Eugene Stoner's design is a true rifle that can fire automatically.

hmm, that must be where the bad talk on longtail come from. They aren't mud motors at all. I went in knowing that, but I think for people looking for a true mud motor, yeah, you're way better of getting a specialized unit for the job. Yeah, that makes much more sense. I went in wanting a general outboard that I could do all my fishing stuff with, as opposed to needed a speialized unit for knee deep mud slugging.

Mud Slugger. That'd be a good name for a mud motor.

Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:26 pm
MMT 1000 Club

I saw that video on youtube before I ever saw it on here.

Good production.

I just got my boat, and made noodles a month or so back. I am looking forward to getting out and running them.

Keep making the videos.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]