It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A Yankee Technique For The Deep South - Walleye Rigs 
MMT 1000 Club

Post A Yankee Technique For The Deep South - Walleye Rigs
When I took my boat up to Michigan to fish with my brothers, my youngest brother impressed me when he began using little walleye rigs (night crawler harness), and picked up bass, crappie, perch, and warmouth and he was doing it at a much faster pace than what I was catching fish. I had never seen this technique before. I am generally a Texas rig man for bass.

He flew medevac helicopters out in Wyoming and picked up the technique there. It is a monofilament leader with some beads, one Colorado style spinner, and generally two trail hooks. My brother was using live night crawlers hooked up on the two hooks.

Prior to leaving Michigan I went to a tackle store and picked up a handful. Recently I started using them in Arkansas when I fish with my wife. I do not troll, I slow roll them on the bottom, or bump them around on rocks and timber. I laugh because you just have no idea what you will catch. I have picked up a good number of catfish, lots of bass, tons of bream, and a couple of small mouth in Richland Creek. They seem to work well in big water, and in the shallow creeks. The only down side I have seen is I also seem to pick up a bunch of small large mouth that are no more than three to four inches long.

I am thinking about making some where I use slightly bigger hooks and sort of combine with a Texas rig Zoom worm. With temps dropping, bass should start to school up.

The store bought ones I have came with real long line. I cut mine down to about five inches and used a snap swivel to keep it from twisting up my braded line.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gator Tail XD 37 EFI -Delta Performance Level 3

Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:24 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Post Re: A Yankee Technique For The Deep South - Walleye Rigs
https://www.amazon.com/Berkley-BWRC4-FT ... alleye+rig

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 pm
MMT Pro Member

They come with all that extra line because they are meant to be tied to a bottom bouncer like this one

You can drag them on the bottom at .5-1 mph if you have fish feeding down there.

I use this rig for Walleye, but have caught 10 different species including 30 lb lake trout.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 am
MMT 1000 Club

Crawler harnesses and bottom bouncers! My kind of rig!

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:51 am
MMT 1000 Club

Glade and Smoke. When you run those bottom bouncers, how many are you running at a time?

How much difficulty do you have with them getting hung up on the bottom?

Lots of rock where I fish.

Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:46 pm
MMT Pro Member

That's what those bottom bouncers are made for. That and dragging cranks in deep water. You attach your main line to the inside angle of the bottom bouncer and the crawler harness/whatever your pulling to the swivel on the bottom bouncer then drop it over the side of your boat and have your line at a 45 degree angle with the water and let line out till you feel the bottom. We catch a lot of walleyes on those rigs up here in deep water. Usually 10' plus. Gotta troll crawlers slow. Normally no faster than 1.2mph. Minnie's you can pull faster and cranks up to 2.5mph.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:10 pm
MMT 1000 Club

BPS Swamp Staff Member
Blackwater Marine LLC.

Quote classic by rangerp: "Red seemed to be enjoying herself, and I assume by the look on her face was about to hit the high-note and throw a locate as she treed the possum."

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:07 am
MMT 1000 Club

To clarify, I wouldn't be casting a bottom bouncer rig. They are for trolling. I believe you'd have a mess trying to cast them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 am
MMT Addict

Yes, no casting a bottom bouncer!

RP:

My dad and grandpa have made bottom bouncers for 40+ years by the thousands... They also make walleye spinners and crawler harnesses of every size, type, and color... so I've seen a few!

I prefer 5-6' Looong leaders if I'm drifting and 3 footers if if trolling under power. Always mono leaders.

Recently I've stopped using a traditional "L shaped" BB and started exclusively using a straight one with a break-away egg sinker on it because it almost completely eliminates any snags... even in crappy bottoms.

What I mean is that it is a straight piece of wire 10-20" long. An eyelet twisted on one end with a snap swivel on it and nothing on the other end. You then pick the size of weight you need and get an egg sinker in that weight. Slide it part way up the wire and then use a toothpick to wedge into the sinker hole against the wire from the top (eyelet) side. Then clip you spinner or harness on the BB snap swivel and the BB to your line's snap swivel.

If you get snagged on the bottom, you will be able to pull the weight right off, rather than lose the while rig. If you're going slower put the weight towards the bottom of the wire. If you're going faster then slide it closer to the top. The longer the leader, then closer to the top you'll want it.

If drifting I can run 5-6 out the side of the boat. If trolling its usually 4, but planer board can get you more lines out in the right conditions (not too much wind, and a decent current).

If we're working pure 4-8' deep mud flats in the summer without any junk on the bottom, my favorite rig to use is a 5-6' long crawler harness with 3 bar hooks and nothing else. Crawlers or a big leach. No bottom bouncer. Only a bullet weight or egg sinker above the swivel. It almost always outfishes others with some jazz on the end of their line (for walleyes).

RLTW

Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]