It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Spring turkey essentials 
MMT 1000 Club

Post Spring turkey essentials
After duck season, my next obsession is spring turkey. Love my DSD hen decoy, wife said no to another one...cleaned up a couple of vintage delta and flambeau decoys for service. Anybody trying anything new or different this year? I have vowed to stay the course, meaning hunt till 1 pm, scout often, and walk the extra mile or two. Found an older Ben Lee box call, "twin hen" model, that is sweet; bought a new Woodhaven mouth call- will have wait a few days for my teeth/gum to heal after some painful dental procedure before I practice with that. Oh yeah, had to get a new camo folding chair- my decade old chair finally fell apart- and it is lighter by far.
Vest list: TP, canteen, thermocell, first aid kit, camo face mask and gloves, binocs, sunglasses, 2 pot calls, 3 mouth calls, 1 box call, 1 crow call, clippers, compass, license, decoy, snacks.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 am
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: Spring turkey essentials
I picked up new decoys. went with the Dakota Jake and feeding hen. big upgrade from my old foam dekes. also got one of the low profile folding chairs. I'm not as limber as I used to be. Chair will be way more comfortable.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 am
MMT 1000 Club

Dakota makes good looking duck decoys as well...are the turkey decoys inflatable like the Avian X ones? I thought of getting an Avian but leery about inflating it and will it hold air?
First few years I used a boat cushion but was always getting wet and there isn't a tree to lean on always, so graduated to a folding chair- big upgrade! You are likely to stay put longer if you are on a comfortable chair.

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:21 am
MMT Pro Member

I've slowly grown into a decoy-free purist, though I harbor no ill will towards those who choose to use them.

As far as new gear, I've tended towards lightening the load rather than adding stuff on. Last year I lost the vest altogether, going instead with a small satchel. Box, slate, couple strikers, thermacell, gps, and coffee (which adds the most weight but I'll carry it till I can't walk anymore). And a couple shells thrown in for the rare case when I forgetfully leave the shells to be loaded in the gun in the truck.

Man I cannot wait!!!!

Btw, planning a canoe hunt trip down the Buffalo National River in N Arky this year. Hopefully get to see some feathers fly there, but will be a great trip regardless.

1542 F&F 23HP Backwater SWOMP (under construction)

"Well we don't rent pigs and I figure it's better to say it right out front because a man that does like to rent pigs is... he's hard to stop" -Augustus McRae

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:38 pm
MMT Pro Member

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Have not had the good fortune to hunt farther north- all I know is the Osceola gallopavus. They are more reticent than their cousins up north for the most part...it is both terrible and beautiful to have a tom sneak up ghostlike not making a sound....need to keep at least one eye open when you nap. :mrgreen:

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:55 pm
MMT 1000 Club

An anecdotal story by the late Ben Lee is worth passing on. He urged turkey hunters to take a nap if the need arose, which often does, but the key was to leave one eye open. :mrgreen: More than a decade ago, this was precisely how I killed a tom- nothing had happened and I was dang tired after a number of hunts so I took the prescribed nap and managed to keep one eye open. The wily Osceola came in like a ghost without a sound but the one eye alerted the rest of me and I took him at no more than ten yards. :mrgreen:

Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:09 am
MMT 1000 Club

Well, looked up close at an Avian turkey decoy at the local BPS- though I try not to buy anything there- and was not that impressed. I realized my DSD is really good. They don't stock Dakota so I will wait for Buckmark311's review...the missus is not too fond of the idea of me buying anything right now, so I spruced up an older Delta hen and have an Ed Sceery blowup Jake decoy that is ok to team up with those. I might go "primitive" and not use a decoy at all.... :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:38 pm
MMT 1000 Club

Oh yeah, after the first couple of season of sitting on the ground or with a camo boat cushion, I graduated to a folding chair. Never looked back.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:58 am
MMT 1000 Club

Definitely March madness! After scouting last weekend hit the road back home- hallucinated a big old tom roaring down the road- turned out it was a pickup truck towing an airboat! :mrgreen:

Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:50 am
MMT Pro Member

sorry I never responded. I LOVE THE DAKOTAS. they are soo nice. not a huge fan of the AX or any soft body turkey decoy in general. I had issues using the AX in the past where they didn't stay "full" during the hunt and collapsed. The Dakota turkey dekes are a nice solid hard body and look scary real. The 1 piece steak hides in the body for transport too. Also like 1 piece steak vs 2 piece bc there is less to break. Dakota has a deal on their webpage too. totally worth the cost. you can get the 1/2 strut jake and hen for like $130 shipped.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 am
MMT 1000 Club

Thanks, will definitely be another DSD or a Dakota for next spring season! I am not moaning- I will get to hunt this weekend and next and that is plenty! Good luck on your opener! Saturday I will be wearing green! :mrgreen:

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:28 am
MMT 1000 Club

Making an effort to scout payed off! Of course there is always an element of luck too! Saturday morning, St. Patrick's Day, 7:23 am. Heard a gobble far-off, yelped back and almost simultaneously got another gobble! The bird must have sprinted because in a minute he was stepping across my field of view, 25 yards out, mesmerized by the DSD hen decoy. I thought this was a dream but his red/white/blue head was on fire, so I aimed for the wattles, pressed off the safety, his head rose even higher, and kaboom- the vintage Winchester Supreme 3.5" load of #4's shuddered the bird ( and me a bit too) and he was down! Wow, not even a moment to relax in this new season and I had scored! Needless to say, the pressure was off big-time. I continued to hunt through last weekend, seeking #2 bird, but it did not happen. Each bird has made my heart race, may it always be so! Spring turkey is grand! My best wishes to those whose season has ended and to those still hunting! :mrgreen:

Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]