It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Dog Training Resources 
MMT Pro Member

Post Dog Training Resources
I want to give my dog a shot at seeing if she can learn to be a duck dog. She is a Lab Mix, likely with American Pitbull Terrier. She has a strong drive to work and retrieve. High drive to please, and she has very good conditioning. She has basic obedience down (Sit, Down, heal, Stay). She is right under 8 months old. I have no clue how she would do as a bird retriever. I have never training or had a Duck Dog before, but I would at least like to give her a shot and see how well she does. I wont lose anything by putting in time training her, if it doesn't work out, I will just have a more obedient pet.

My question is, where do I start? Can anyone recommend a training book, video, website that kind of walks you through? I don't want to get too far ahead of where she needs to be and would like to talk my time with her and give her a shot next year for duck season.

I loved working with my Catahoula mix, who is now a beast at disc/Frisbee and is a phenomenally obedient dog. I hope I can whip this one into being a bird dog.

Thanks guys.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:00 am
MMT Addict

Post Re: Dog Training Resources
Where are you located? I read water dog first, then bought Chris Akins duck dog basics ( which I highly recommend) and then followed up with Freddy kings series of videos. Once you get into it you realize that its a lot simpler than it seems. I was once told you can make any dog a duck dog. No desire to retieve... Force fetch the hell out of her, refusal to go, force to pile. Now whether it's easy or not has a lot to do with genetics and the breed. But my recommendation is buy the video series off ebay and start ASAP. At that age you're already behind.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

I live in Thibodaux. She works well. I can have her sit/stay and she will hold. I can throw a decoy out and she will stay and I can send to the decoy and she will return it to me. I know I'm late to the game with her, but I think I can still get here where she would be a decent hunting dog.

Thanks for the info. I will look into the videos and books.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:41 pm
MMT F.E.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:27 pm
MMT Addict

very very solid advice. Although they do have a waterfowl shepard on youtube thats pretty cool to watch and actually pretty good. Best of luck

If you're dog is bringing decoys back, you're going to have a long season.

A few things, 1, get a different dog. Can it be done, possibly, is it worth it, I don't think the juice is worth the likely squeeze. A well bred dog will do a lot better a lot faster. It's that simple.

As for training, Chris Aiken is good, but his program has some holes. Fowl dawgs is a more thorough resource for the "meat dog" guy. Smart works, and total retriever training (mike lardy) are the two most complete series out there.[/quote]

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:20 pm
MMT Pro Member

I'm talking about a training bumper/dog training decoy. Not a plastic decoy. I don't want another dog. I have 2 already, thanks for the info on the videos.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm
MMT Pro Member

Larry or Graham.

Find a local retriever club and go to training days. It will help a lot.

Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:08 pm
MMT F.E.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:04 am
MMT Pro Member

I figured that. Lol. Being new on this site, I don't know who the comedians are yet.

sorry I had my words mixed up. She is currently laid up due to being spade on Monday, but once we get back to it, I will try to keep a running status every so often on her progress. Hopefully I will have her in hunting form by next duck season.

Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:02 am
MMT F.E.

Try duckhuntingchat.com

It has a very thorough dog forum full of knowledge

Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:56 am
MMT Pro Member

Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]