It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 In Memory of Man's Best Friend 
MMT Pro Member

Post Re: In Memory of Man's Best Friend
Lost my black lab Dakota just over two years ago to bone cancer. I wasn't able to hunt that fall because I felt so lost, she was only 6

I found this one day.

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
and pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
for this--the last battle-- can't be won.

You will be sad I understand
Don't let grief then stay your hand
For on this day, more than the rest
Your love and friendship must stand the test.

We have had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears
You'd not want me to suffer, so
when the time comes please let me go

Take me to where my needs they'll tend
only stay with me till the end.
And hold me close and speak to me,
until me eyes no longer see.

I know in time, you will agree
it is a kindness you do for me
Although my tail its last has waved
from pain and suffering I have been saved.

Do not grieve that it must be you
who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close, we two these years
don't let your heart hold any tears.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:18 pm
MMT Addict

This isn't my Boykin. Bt this has been the top Boykin on the field trial circuit for many years. If u wanna check out the post Ms. Kadlec posted on her Facebook. lost the best there was and the best there is today. Gt to see him one time when I picked my pup up. He was truelly an amazing swamp poodle.

YOU BRING YOUR HOUSE DOG HUNTING?.....

Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:07 pm
MMT Pro Member

Today the best hunting buddy a guy could ask for and a playmate that a son could have passed away . He will be missed not only as a retriever and a hunting buddy but as a member of our family .I had Ace for 7 years from a puppy, that had an umbilical hernia so no one wanted him , i took him in patched him up and he paid our family back with unconditional love and loyalty . He was always the first one to the door when the alarm went off early he knew it was time to hunt . We spent countless hours training together and he never once minded , always happy to retrieve one more even when i was done he never was. He taught me as much as i taught him ........ Recently due to Living arrangements he went to live with another family that also accepted him in as one of their own .Training with him , their children adored him and he had lots of room to run and be himself . The vet diagnosed him with K9 leukemia about 3 days ago but it was too late for treatment . He passed away early this morning . Wilsons "Ace " in the Hole , you will not be forgotten . Thanks for letting me share

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am
MMT Pro Member

Sorry to hear that man

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 pm
MMT Pro Member

HRCH Sindney's Talented Mr Ripley MH "Rip". This was my best friends dog, but very close to my heart. Spent many, many a day with him hunting, training and hanging out. Truly a phenomenal dog. R.I.P. my buddy.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am
i visit time to time just see & look at my old dog "DAVY" that i posted up last year after he passed on september 13th 2012 and look at the other hunters parted hunting buddies
i still miss that dog of mine even though i moved on to a new dog
and last week week my wife texted me on the 13th to tell me my son before he hit the door for school stopped at the gun safe where davy's ashes are in a urn on top and he layed his hand on the urn and said to it he still misses him everyday!
made me feel good that he loved that dog just as much as i did

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:27 am
MMT Member

Lost my chocolate lab last year. Jackson was a great dog. I miss him every day.
Decided to put his ashes in a duck pond he retrieved 100's of duck out of.
Here is couple good pics.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:04 am
MMT 1000 Club

Ughh, why'd I click on that video! I need another beer...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...Teal hole in 5 hours...

"You should be more concerned with watching football than making chit fall out the sky!!!"
- My Wife

Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:05 pm
MMT Member

Rest In peace chase u will be missed more than you know . You made a difference in all of our lives the short time we had with you .only the good die young there must have been a reason u were so great 1 accident in the house retrieved like crash known dozens of tricks u learned with ease with minimal training you past on the same date 4 months after your birth now the boys can really call you super chase. I love u man didnt know how much.but he had an issue with a sensitive stomach aspirated fluid into his lungs and created aspirstion pnumonia took him to the vet when we first thought something wrong and was dismisses as nothing was wrong 100 percent healthy and so he seemed over a course of 8 hours he was very lethargic trouble breathing spent over 1000 at the vet in 24 hours went to doggie er and it was 1600 up front and 2800 for three days with no gaurantee of survival cause it had gotten so bad I was faced with the hardest decision ever put him down or take him home and continue the meds that are not really helping .he would most likely pass in front of my 2 and 4 year old kids so im so sorry chase u will always have a special place in my heart the smartest pup ive seen in a long time.and that complement came from many others as well that pic was one 6 days prior to passing

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:30 pm
MMT 1000 Club

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394456463.850897.jpg
I know most of this thread is tribute to hunting labs but I just wanted to pay tribute to a best friend of 15 years. Watching a dog excel at what it was born to do is one of the most gratifying things a hunter can experience whether it be a lab or beagle. And that's just what Luke did, he had distinct voice that would resonate through the trees and was as swift as a fox running through briars. I passed on countless rabbits just to listen to him and his brother burn em up. They gave me a great childhood of fun hunts that will forever live in my memory.

Well, Yesterday I made one of the toughest decisions in my life and put my dear friend to rest. His mind was there but his body could no longer keep up, so it was time. Having a hunting beagle live to 15 years is near about unheard of and he definitely beat the average. I quit hunting him 5 years ago and let him stay in the yard where he commenced to chasing rats in the barn at a slower pace. This is where he really got to my heart because he would be waiting for me to pull up in the drive. He became a part of the family and loved by all (except for the house cat)!

Good bye old friend you'll be missed.

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:44 am
MMT Pro Member

On March 17th, I had to let my old girl go. She was a remarkable dog.

We traveled all over the southeast hunting and running hunt tests and field trials.

In our time together, she picked up well over 5,000 birds out of the hunting blind, collected a Grand title and over 500 HRC points, only failing 3 Finished tests ever. She also finished 3 Qualifying stakes.

At 12 1/2, cancer caught up with her and I had to make the hardest decision of my life. She passed peaceably in my arms, but leaves her son with me who is a very solid All Age field trial dog.

RIP GRHRCH UH "Maya". I will miss you old girl.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 pm
MMT Member

She never slept in, and didn't know what quit meant, with her record of 60 gease in one hunt. I've seen her dive for wood ducks in cypress swamps, and jump off 8ft river banks into ice. I trained her when I was in high school, and She was the smartest, most stubborn chesie I've ever met, but most importantly she was my best freind, and pillow. I've have tryed training another dog, but they just look at me with blank faces. Or there amount of drive disappoints me. In loving memory, skeeter fluff 2012 Christmas Eve goose

Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:00 pm
MMT 1000 Club

089.JPGI have to put my best friend down yestrerday. 10 years old something happen a week or so with his back. When to the vet they say theres not much they could do. This was my 1st gun dog. i trianed him not knowing what to do. he was a great friend. You will be missed but never forgoten my son.089.JPG

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:16 am
MMT Member

March 30th 2015 I had to put Cooper (the super dog), 13 years old, down. He hunted up until 2015 season's end. Anyone that ever hunted with him know he earned his nickname (Super). He did not show any symptoms until March 28th when he could not get up at all. I helped him to go to the bathroom and eat/drink water, massaged his hips and he seemed to recover a bit. The next day it was the same thing so I repeated the process from the day before. On the third day when he could not get up I loaded Cooper up into my truck, along with his training dummy and a duck wing and took the LONG way to the vet, stopping several times to open his door and show him the rice fields he loved so much and some birds. With the scent of a duck, his training dummy and me by his side, He was put down that day. I laid him to rest in his favorite spot in the back yard This being bad enough, His mate Velvet, 8 years old, stopped eating and was grieving heavily. After 5 days I brought her to the vet and he was confident she would recover. She had nothing wrong with her after blood test, etc. The next morning when the vet arrived at his office he found my Velvet passed away. I laid her to rest next to her true love she just could not live without. So anyone who does not believe these animals have deep emotions for other beings, I'm here to let you know they do without question. My heart has been broken since this has happened, and not a day goes by that I don't miss those 2 special animals. They were great hunters, but they were better friends. Thanks for your time Cooper and Velvet, until we meet again, fetch one up for me!!!!

Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:11 am
MMT Pro Member

The post above hit me hard. I lost my Coco at 14-1/2 and the younger Java went within a year at 11 and a few months. Coco taught Java well, even some bad stuff ;) This is when Java was young still in training.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 pm
MMT Member

A Boy and a Dog
by Marty Hale

I want my boy to have a dog,
Or maybe two or three ...
He'll learn from them much easier
Than he would learn from me.

A dog will show him how to love
And bear no grudge or hate;
I'm not so good at that myself
But dogs will do it straight.

I want my boy to have a dog
To be his pal and friend,
So he may learn that friendship
Is faithful to the end.

There never yet has been a dog
Who learned to double-cross,
Nor catered to you when you won
Then dropped you when you lost.

In honor of FC Kodiak of Sunnyburke, Fowlin' Piece MH, and Candlewoods Supertramp MH, and many, many, many others.

Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:49 pm
MMT 1000 Club

18x54 Uncle J -GTR - with the koolaid
Back H2o SWOMP 23 SS stage 2 15x36 GD Duck Skiff GATOR
GATOR GLIDE PROSTAFF
BACKWATER PROSTAFF
http://www.gatorglide.com

Coupe rest in peace brother

Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:26 pm
MMT Member

Damn it, ya'll. I couldn't read through this whole thread: Sandy, Jack, Harvey, Rex (almost ready to go), and a few more before these that I can't remember. A dog is truly a man's best friend.

Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:38 am

There are no words to describe how much I miss this guy. Those of you that have truly bonded with your dog know what I mean. They know your next move before you do. We never won any titles but he put some meat on the table. RIP Tucker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2