It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 My First Pup. Meet Chili 
MMT Pro Member

Post My First Pup. Meet Chili
I've been wanting a dog for about 2 years now and life has finally settled to the point where I can spend the necessary time with her to (hopefully) train her into a well mannered duck and upland dog.

I've had her just short of 2 weeks and she is doing well with the basic household obedience. Sleeps through the night with no crying, is figuring out potty training quickly with all accidents eliminated to just "excited" pee's when people of dogs come over. She goes crazy on duck and pheasant wings and seems to have a very nice temperament. It's crazy how quickly the bond between pup/owner occurs.

Here are a few photos of Chili. I wanted to start a thread to be able to document her progress and ask this helpful forum for advice along the way.

One issue I'm having now is she loves rocks. We're getting better and it seems she's getting the idea that rocks are a "no", but she has picked up and swallowed a few small ones. I've just been keeping her on the leash and occupied with toys or a wing while outside, giving her a firm "No" and a tap to the muzzle if she tries to grab a rock and replacing the rock with a chew toy and a "good girl" once she accepts the chew toy. Any other ideas on how to break her from wanting to pickup rocks?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:08 am
MMT F.E.

Post Re: My First Pup. Meet Chili
good looking girl.

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:36 am
MMT Pro Member

Rocks and puppies are not a good combination. About the only thing that ever worked
for the two pups that had this "need" was direct supervision or confinement. Eventually,
they seem to get over it. However, it can cause intestinal problems..........sometimes
serious.

Looks like a cool pup. Good luck with her! 8-)

Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:31 pm
MMT Pro Member

Thanks guys.

Kwick- She seems to be doing a little better with the rocks. It helped we have a little snow on the ground now as well so she can't seem them as easily. It's gotten cold now, -3 this morning so our outside time has been limited. She is also starting to indicate when she has to go potty so it's usually pretty quick run out, potty, back inside.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:48 am
MMT 1000 Club

Good lookin little pup man, congratulations!... That last pic has trouble written all over it haha

Well they call me king turd up here on shit mountain, but if you want it you can have the crown.

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:12 am
MMT Pro Member

Well chili dog has had her first few hunts and is doing great. Photo above was her first hunt, three birds down for my woody limit. Two water retrieves and she dug one out of head high reeds for me. Couldn't be happier with her as a hunter and a companion.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:10 am
MMT 1000 Club

Awesome bud, good looking dog!

2014 PRODIGY 1754 (#19) 2014 5500 BAMF HDR RETRO SOLD

2010 Gator Tail Gator Series 18x54 pushed by a 2020 40GTRXD

Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]